Alright I know i'm pulling a "webcyan" ever hear of this? So shoot me!

nave

Cave Relic
Alright, this is a dorky webcyanesque post.........Ever hear of a band called built to spill? ofcourse you have

Anyway, they have this song that I've just heard.....It was released in 1999 I think...so I know I'm behind in the times by appox.. three years cause I just heard it....Anyway, It's called "You were right" and it is probably one of the coolest tributes to rock n roll and songwriting that I have ever heard....I wish that I wrote the damn song...........I can't remember all the lyrics but I can tell that what it does is appropriate "classic" and "cliche" lyrics from rock n roll history and uses them in a simplistic but yet brilliant way..........

e.g........

"You were wrong when you said that everything going to be alright

You were right when you said that we're all just dust in the wind

You were right when you said that we're all just bricks in the wall

You were right when you said that this is the end"

Anyway it goes on and on with appropriated lyrics like that in a drone like fashion...it's a very conceptual approach to writing songs and I like that sort of thing....It actually parrallels what the first conceptual fine artists we're doing when the we're "in" in the 1970's........Some conceptual artists got the idea that art really couldn't go any further and that everything was essentially appropriation....And so they knowingly appropriated to the point of absurdity.......Some of them actually presented photographs of other infamous art pieces and presented them as their own art pieces....Others just appropriated many different styles of art and used them in the same art piece, correlating each different style to a particular/specific part of the narrative they are portraying.....Anyway, I'm rambling on...Just thought it was very cool...............good music too........You guys have probably all heard it already.......And you'll be like damn nave, your a dork just like Webcyan..........:D

- nave

BTW, Hey web man.....I'm just kidding bro :D hope you can take a joke.....

ever heard of these bands?

Tornacade (Like Tool, Staind, Creed(minus that annoying as hell singer))

Halo in Reverse (Trent Reznor's clone. Seriously)

good badns though... good bands too.

Nah web never heard of them either......I like tool a lot....I think they are very progressive as well as Trent's stuff....But I generally don't listen to music that heavy all the time.....I hate creed and I hate Stained...hates a strong word but you get the idea....I'll check em out anyway though ....thanks

I hate Creed and Staind too.

What I meant is that the more clean mellow guitar parts sound similar to Creed(not the bullshit like my sacrifice, but their better earlier stuff). And the vocals are similar to that staind guy...which really isnt that good. that guy annoys the hell out of me.

I love Built To Spill, but I don't think it's safe to assume that many other people around here know them. I don't think they've sold more than 80,000 of any of their records. Plus, I think most people around here are in love with bad prog-rock.

I used to listen to Built To Spill quite a bit, but the whining eventually began to get on my nerves. It took about two years, though :) The first time I heard them was one of the few times I instantly liked a band. That's a good feeling.

By "whining" do you mean the quality of Doug's voice? His voice is definitely a "love-it-or-hate-it" kind of thing.

like mr. corgan. billy's voice either annoys the hell out of people or they love it.

I think his voice on songs like 1979 and Today flat out rock, but on Bullet with Butterfly Wings....feh!....

Vurt......I can see what you mean about that dude Doug's whining for sure...but it hasn't gotten to me yet, nevertheless, I know eventually it will probably start to annoy me too :D. I've heard of built to spill for quite sometime but have never heard their music up until a couple of weeks ago......I'm glad I found it though.......

Hey coming in second....Your right....I wouldn't expect many people round here to have heard of them either......Thats kind of why I posted this

later

- nave

Back