Almost got the POD. Got the Pandora instead...

BBB

Everyone here probably realizes that I truly prefer the SansAmp products to the Line 6 stuff. However, this past weekend I went to Mars and was ready to purchase a POD for playing though a DR-5 as a small practice device. Mainly because my GT2 doesn't have effects and my PSA-1 is rackmounted with my studio gear (not very portable). I especially wanted to purchase the POD so I could be more objective when comparing it with the SansAmp stuff.

I went to Mars and A/B'd the POD with the Korg Pandora and ended up getting the Pandora...

Not that the Pandora had better tones. I mainly got it because there were no PODs in stock. Now that I have it, I love it. Not because it is good for recording, but because it is great for practicing.

First, the little cheezy drum and bass patterns are waaay more fun to practice with than a metronome. I became much more motivated when practicing boring scales.

Second, it's easy to configure on the fly. Especially for quickly changing the key and/or tempo. This makes it easy to quickly build up speed and try riffs/scales in different keys.

Third, the tone isn't bad (for practicing). It's not as good as the SansAmp or POD, but it does the job.

Fourth, size does matter. Walkman size, that is. It's easy to keep it in a guitar case and/or carry it around for easy practicing. I just wish it had a belt clip.

So far, it's a nifty device. It's even got an aux input for CD that can be used for jamming along (with pitch transposition) and for recording short passages and slowing them down for phrase training.

We'll see how much I like it after the "novelty factor" wears off. Then I'll probably get the POD for shits and giggles. None of these toys will ever replace my Boogie.

Last edited:
POD ugh...good

I was stuck on my Boss GT3. It collects dust now since purchasing the POD. The softeware really made a difference, Patch Wizzard about $30.00. You can see where you're going, better tweaking & save unlimited patches.

What ever suits your needs BBB. The POD just motivated me to play more... but dosen't all the new toys. "I'm gonna get this & it's gonna make me sound better." Com'on, we've all been there.

You can get em' most anywhere now for $250.00 after the rebate.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/01072519424802400425225112413?pid=482222

45 day money back too.

I bought a Pandora about 6 months ago - it is a fun practice unit and like BBB said, the drum/bass function can take you in directions you may not normally go. I'm mainly a drummer but whenever I have spare time I've always got a guitar in my hand, and the Pandora is a fun portable device. I prefer my POD for recording, but I do think the Pandora has some good tones - in particular It has some good "clean" tones for Jazz and Country licks.

Regarding a belt clip - I found an old cell phone case that works well. I have to pull it out of the case to change the settings - but once I have a setting I want to jam with for a while the cell phone case does the job. - I actually took the Pandora to an "open jam" at a local club useing the case and several guitar players were pretty impressed by the portability (and even the tone) of the Pandora.

Hey BBB - I'm also from Brew Town. Been real busy gigging, you know how the festival season is around here. I free lance with a lot of bands so lately it's a different band at a different festival every week.

Fucking web.

Posted a reply and it puked... losing everything.

Fuckittyfuckfuck.

Fuckit.

Be that as it may,

Mike,

Toss me a list of some of the more rockin' gigs you have at beer fests or bars. I'll try to make some time to come heckle ya. :p

Matt

Ive got the pandora built into my Korg d8. good little unit. but for guitar tone im using the art levelar- digitech rp100-sansamp gt-2 to blue tube to the korg. the tubes make a big difference in the chain. the rp100 is supurior to the pandora in almost every way and it was 89.00 us.

for bass Im using the Korg ax100b in place of the rp100 in the chain.:cool:

Pandora is a litlte guitar effects processor made by Korg. It's about the size of a small cell phone. In addition to various effects (which can be layered) it has like 50 different grooves (cheesy sounding analog drums/bass loops) that you can jam along with.

It's really just a fun little "practise amp" to be used with headphones - like any effects unit it has some decent sounds and some crap sounds.

A guitar player I know uses it in the truck during regional tours - he just sits in back with the phones on and jams on down the highway.

Yeah. Very nice personal practice amp.

I had been looking forever for a little device called something like the "Pocket Rockit." It was about the size of two thumbs with a 1/4" male plug for your guitar output and a 1/8" stereo female socket for headphones. It had distortion and reverb built in. Many moons ago, a singer in my band had one that sounded pretty good. It was plugged into your guitar output for a mini personal amp. Nice compact practice device. You could wander around practicing to your heart's content.

As far as I know it no longer is being produced.

Thus, I picked up the PX3 (Pandora). Again, a nice personal practice amp. I'd rate the tone quality along with the old Boss ME-5. The plus of the PX3 is the portability and the (cheesy)rhythm loops. The aux input, phrase sampler, and pitch shift may be useful for practicing with a CD or slowing down and learning riffs, but I haven't used them yet.

Back