Allocating More RAM to Reaper?

FunkDaddy

Maybe I'm thinking about it backwards but here's what I've run into a few times lately...

I've got 4 GB of RAM, and never think I've come even close to using all of it, but Reaper seems to run out of memory when using even somewhat memory intensive VSTi's.

Say I'll have Omnisphere with one of the above average size patches, let's say 600mb or so.

Then maybe I'll have Superior Drummer with at most 500-600mb of drum samples loaded into memory.

I don't use a lot of FX until I'm mixing (And thus, have everything bounced down to audio tracks and the VSTi's closed out completely)

But in this situation I'll be running into "out of memory" errors in Omnisphere or Kontakt and then soon after that in Reaper. When really..I should have a good gig or two left to spare at the least? Right? In the task manager, it will tell me Reaper will only be using about 1-1.2 GB of RAM with a good 3GB or so left over. I'm aware my computer needs some of the RAM itself but I don't understand where the memory errors are coming in.

Am I not thinking this through correctly? I looked through the options and couldn't find one to allocate more memory to the program. I can find this option in say Superior Drummer, but have never needed to use it.

Yes you can. In the FX browser, you can right-click the plugins you want and have them run in a separate or dedicated process (I don't remember the exact terminology.. I'm not at my desk right now..)

You can also set this globally in REAPER's preferences.

Sorry I can't be more specific!

I think what I'm looking for is the global preference, as you say. Maybe I'm just missing it in the preferences list. I'll take a better look and try experimenting with the FX parameters too.

Cheers!

Back