alligning tracking mixed out of the box

iownrocknroll

Recently, I found myself reaching for Hardware compressors and EQ when mixing certain tracks within a session

how far forward should I move the tracks that I go out of my digi 003 into external hardware and back into the digi 003.

I am running pro tools 8 le

Last edited:
Recently, I found myself reaching for Hardware compressors and EQ when mixing certain tracks within a session

how far forward should I move the tracks that I go out of my digi 003 into external hardware and back into the digi 003.

I am running pro tools 8 le

How much recording latency do you have in your setup?

what?........

if you mean what i think you mean, you'll end up with your dry track, and your eq'd or compressed track,,,,both in protools..

pick a transient and move the modified track to match the original one...

the only real way to tell is to run a percussive track, like a snare, out to the compressor in bypass and record it back in. Then you can see how long it takes the audio for a round trip. That will be how much you have to slide the audio to compensate.

Or you could get Cubase, it figures it out and compensates automatically.

what?........

if you mean what i think you mean, you'll end up with your dry track, and your eq'd or compressed track,,,,both in protools..

pick a transient and move the modified track to match the original one...

The issue is they seem very very close to each other.

however they don't seem to sound quite right...

Please pick one forum and post your question there. Don't post the same question multiple times in different forums. I moved the replies to here and close your other thread.

Thanks,

The issue is they seem very very close to each other; however, they don't seem to sound quite right...

get an audio track and record a duplicate through your hardware..

so then you have two tracks slightly out of time...

set your view to samples, turn on slip mode and zoom in as far as you can to the start of a waveform....

by drawing a selection from the start of the dry waveform to the start of the hardware waveform, you'll be able to see how many samples you are offset by..

might not look like much, but it'll sound weird unless it's perfect.

also, if you're doing this regularly,,,you could work out the length of time it takes as above,,,but instead of moving all your tracks and stuff,,you could send all dry tracks to a stereo aux which goes to master...

on that aux you use a time adjuster/delay plugin set to the exact sample delay that your hardware is adding..

obviously don't send hardware effected tracks to that aux......just leave them as output 1-2....

so effectively everything is delayed by the same amount (manual way of doing what ADC or mellomuse ATA does)

this is theoretcal,,,i haven't tried it, but i imagine if i was doing hardware effecting a lot in PTLE, this is probably how i'd manage it.

Back