Allen & Heath WZ16:2DX ? about subgroups

Jason James

O.k. Here's another for you. I'm looking at getting this board and love it all except I'm not sure if it has sub groups or not. Anyone know? How would I be able to sub group drums on 1-8 and send them to 2 tracks on a recorder for live use? In the studio how could I take drum tracks 1-8 via direct outs to the recorder and get a seperate head phone mix with 1-8 subed and 9-16 subed (gtrs, vox, bass) and get a phones mix? Other than that I love this mixer, has everything I need. It is a good sounding mixer right?????? I haven't heard it yet but have been told it sounds nicer that behringer and mackie. Thanks for any help.

J-3
P.s. This thing does have 6 auxes could I use those somehow?

sorta

I just got this board and can try to answer the best i understand your question. If you wanted to submix your drums you use channels 1-8 and you can send them all to Aux 1 + 2 by turning up Aux 1+2 knobs on the channel. Then from the back, Aux 1+2 would be your 2 channels of submix. It's a compact mixer so it's not like you can send your channels to a submix with faders, but there are individual master aux volumes for Aux 1-6 with all the other "outputty" type controls.

The headphone thing would be a similar deal. You take your direct outs as you desire then have 6 Aux sends to make diff mixes. Say Aux 1 is for the drummer that just has bass, vox and guitar. Aux 2 mix could be for the non-drummers and mix that to taste. Each channel has 6 Aux knobs which you can turn up to add them to their repective Aux send.

I would highly recommend going to the Allen+Heath site and looking at the high-res images of the outputs on the back and the board layout. That might help a bunch.

How unclear was i? :)

I too am looking at getting this board, and the only reason I might not buy it is due to it not having sub groups.

I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAALLLY want the crest audio one, but it costs way tooo much for me.

You CAN do this with the Aux sends. Just make sure you use the post fader ones, and put all of 'em at unity, then the mix will still be the same.

C'mon Tyler! Mow a few more lawns! Get da Crest! You know you want it! da Crest! da Crest! You know you gotta have it! da Crest! da Crest! You can do it, Tyler! da Crest! da Crest! da Crest! You're Tyler! You can do ANYTHING! da Crest! da Crest! da Crest! da Crest! da Crest!....:o

finally

I finally tracked a band to 8 track (1/2") with this board. I think it sounds fantastic. Really clear and warm sound. The EQ is very gentle and accurate. I love this board after using it for 3 days. It's also super easy to learn.

I used all 6 auxes for submixes (drums, a headphone mix, routing other tracks) to the 8 track and that worked awesome as well. It has 6 aux outs (pre or post fader) and you can monitor them individually if you desire. Although this board was intended as a live mixer, it's perfect for a 8 or 16 track studio that doesnt have the space or really doesnt need/want a full console. Rock.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna end up with headphones on aux 1 and maybe 2. Reverb will be 3 and 4, and compression will be 5&6. I really need those subs!!

You leave the headphones connected to the headphone jack and monitor what you want without affecting the mix at all via the monitor select buttons.

Back