All you guys with resonators.

64Firebird

What kind of strings are you using? I'm looking for something bright and tinny sounding for acoustic slide work.

I have a cheap'o Jay Turser solidbody resonator that I do slide on....

I don't play it very often, but I did find that putting heavier strings on it (.012) helped with the playability - It doesn't "fret out" as much (slide hitting the frets). I'm not sure how much you can effect the sound on those things with different strings.

Thanks, but I was wanting brand names.

I bought a set of Elixir's today and they seem to sound very good. But, the sure cost a lot.

Hey 'bird,

I have a Tricone - I use the cheapest strings Martin make -
13 - 56 and they give me the sound I like. I tried all th eexpensive makes and sets - the cheapo Martins sound the best

foo

Thanks foo! I'll keep that in mind next time I buy strings. One thing I do like about these Elixirs is that they seem to be standing up to the metal finger picks I like using when playing acoustic slide.

64Firebird said:
Thanks foo! I'll keep that in mind next time I buy strings. One thing I do like about these Elixirs is that they seem to be standing up to the metal finger picks I like using when playing acoustic slide.

Actually Firebird you'll go through the elixers fairly quick with metal picks cause they chew up the coating.

As for strings you might try something like this:

http://www.stringthis.com/stringthis/phosbronmed.html

Thats less than 3 bucks a set.

Back