all the lies

I have no idea what this thread is about anymore, but, personally, I've gravitated to SDCs for acoustic, but I'm not working in a space (at home - which was never intended to be for recording) where I can get away with an LDC that's a foot or more away from the source and not pick up stuff I don't want; and a live stage, fuggedaboutit..

In the picture above, the stage monitors are active. But the room is well treated and very little volume was needed, so it's not quite the same as a proper stage. That said, I would have no problem using an LDC on a loud stage as long as it was on a loud source like a guitar amp, or something (like overheads) that wasn't in the monitors.

Maybe I should take one of the mics I tested and go to a room with normal walls, as in a room not good for recording. That might be revealing.

On the U87 front. I think you should own other microphones first. Im starting to get some useful comments and it is very clear that some people struggle hearing differences and others are monitoring on equipment capable of that level of subtlety. I suppose I’m saying that unless your monitoring is up to it, your two grand mic is a bit pointless, as your speakers don’t let you hear it. Like a good camera with cheap lens, or good lens and camera and poor monitor. If you up one component you must up the others too!
ahh rob, but thats not true. You may be arguing against mix capabilities, and unless you have Gennies, you may be right (although mackie make some pretty flat monitors. But you shouldnt base the depth of capability on what you can hear on a set of speakers. It isnt frequency range or presence were talking about with mic differences. Its what is captured. The Lawson is the best money you will ever spend, if your a vocalist. For Steven tyler---waste of money. Id use a 4050 or a stage mic, like my Neumann Kms 105, which is a condensor, or even a dynamic for him, and i would run him through a pre like a 1073 where i could get a good saturation from the pre. He is like lenny Kravitz, who has the beatles old board. These guys dont want crytaline sound, they want dirty, even though tyler is a great singer. Yet, when the best of the best, like Chris Cornell or Dio step up, even though they are hard hitting vocalists as far as dirt, they are also voices, and the best. they want tube mics that hear deep inside a voice, and you can tell the difference...HUGELY. But with all arguments stated. i will say that a AT 4050 will cut a hit record for a vocalist any time, and it will take a very tuned ear to hear the difference between that and a U87 if they are both run through the same pre. For someone who doesnt have the funds, is $2000 worth it..no, on a budget... buy the 4050

I have no idea what this thread is about anymore, but, personally, I've gravitated to SDCs for acoustic, but I'm not working in a space (at home - which was never intended to be for recording) where I can get away with an LDC that's a foot or more away from the source and not pick up stuff I don't want; and a live stage, fuggedaboutit..
I love the room!

Ah, the 421 was mentioned in this thread, I got confused. I do own one but I do not use it enough. There was a sound I was impressed with by a guy over in the academy that uses a 421 and 57 (on top of each other) similar to an XY configuration except both mics are on axis. in the vanilla position. 12th fret at 8inches or so distance. Hard panning gives nice results, it's not as wide but it really does work very well. Those mics do complement one another in a nice way, I can see why people love to pair those 2, especially on guitar cabs. It's Cameron Webbs go-to in most situations and that guy has access to all the best mics in the world. It is Machine heads go-to along with countless others I believe. It's just as fullproof as you can get!
^
I went off on a tangeant, sorry!

I think I'm going to go for the U87 within a couple of months. I want to eliminate all of my weak parts of the chain. If I still can't get a pro result after that fact then I know I am just not doing things right. Access to a high end mic would be lovely. I have always tried to get by with stock plugins and cheap gear, but curiosity is getting the better of me nowadays, can the U87 really make the difference? The difference of 2grand? Doubt it. I am even doubtful it would be that much different from my cheap RB500 £80.00 Ribbon mic which also gives that lush warm sound that takes to even the most aggressive EQ moves incredibly well (I know these are different types of mic but my point still stands). I will bite the bullet and try it out, I hope I am proved wrong. Otherwise if things don't work out this month. I'll try out that Audio Technica AT2050 that was mentioned up above until I can afford that U87.

I'm finding it difficult to find time, but I want to really check out your videos Rob. I will definitely watch them. Thanks for doing this for us all. It's something I have always wandered about. Understanding this stuff can be difficult for the typical guy who does not have access to these kinds of mics for comparisons.

I did not expect your personality, it was professional enough to be taken very seriously. It's funny how we can get an image of somebody in our heads just through messages back and forth on forums.
421 is phenomenal for mid punch on a bass cab..use a RE 20 for bottom. If youve got 4 10's, the 421 will get you a ton of punch in the 250 cycle range, where you hear it on small speakers, and in the 800 cycle range where the rock dirt is

I know nothing about nothing. But, I say a sincere THANK YOU to anyone who is kind enough to pass on information for free. I've been in too many rooms where someone will say "I know how to do that." and when asked "HOW?" They respond "I'm not telling you. I had to go to school to learn that." It's their prerogative to keep the info private. It's just a buzz kill for the moment. Why say anything at all if you're not going to help?
forget em Snowman, just ask, ill tell...although we might have to go to some side talk where we can get indepth...the poor guys on this platform who just want to comment are having to put up with the novels i keep writing for answers. Its totally unfair, but i cant help myself. I truly want people who are seeking to know. I had absolutely no help at all, until i got signed in 1990. Then in LA i was in the studio with Benson, Wah Wah Watson. Chaka Khan, Toto. Rick Rubin...and engineers like Clearmountain..and suddenly people were telling me things...alot of things. That shaped what i did and the choices i made, even the instruments i learned. I like when i can affect someone like that

It may be worth saying that I have the opposite experience to Rob with the U87. However I have the older, slightly noisier version with the battery compartment which also has a high frequency roll off. It often doesn't come across as anything special when heard in isolation but the sound usually fits really well in a mix and it responds to eq well. However, unlike Rob, I don't have a 414 to compare it with.
414...great fricking mic man...want a bass thick vocal for a girl or a guy with a thin voice..try the one with the C12 capsule and use it in hypercardiod..or whatever. I know..414 for vocals yes..the one with the C12 capsule is outstanding. We used to use them for jazz kits, on a figure 8 pattern between hat and snare. Quite a wide ope, natural feel

Some big money mics do sound uninspiring by themselves but work when in a mix. I don't have any Neumann mics but I have auditioned them and my opinion of the 87 has always been that for most sound sources it works the midrange in such a way to make mixing "record ready" easier, but it does not make everything sound "good". For sheer good sound I prefer 47's either FET or tube but can't justify spending the money on them since I am not doing recording as a business. The 67 would be my alternate choice for sound quality and versatility if price were no object.

The C12 is another high dollar mic that works better on some sources and not as well on others, but will make just about anything stand out in a mix.

I also have never cared for the sound of 414 XLII's but the XLS sounds clean and balanced and I find it works for me. That said, the bump in the II's does make anything recorded with it jump out in a mix.

How it fit's in a mix can be one of the many reasons one chooses mic "A" over mic "B". LDC's by their very design, are going to pick up more unwanted sound along with the good stuff so where they are positioned and what the source is will be more exposed during recording.

I have found that a close mic situation will almost always benefit from using the appropriate dynamic mic rather than an LDC and if the source is high frequency dominant and the room is good, I prefer a ribbon over most LDC"s.

I am enjoying your tests and thanks for the effort.
you got it gotoboy...when a vocalist cuts a session, i always choose two or three mics side by side and A/B them. But you are right about alot of mics, and thats why most people choose a U87 in the higher range...it fits everything. The 47 and 67 are killer, if you can find a killer one. The Lawson has a switch that gives you the vacuum tube 251 Elam and the FET 47 when you engage it. I havent heard a vocalist, male or female, sound bad on it...but on other instruments, Im not too found of it. Ribbon mics are a love of mine, i agree with you there. Dynamics are for close miking, but only very dynamic transients. i think with less dynamic transients, like vocals and acoustic guitar, even hi hat, you will like a great condenser better. I have the AT 4033..on a hit hat it is outstanding. 414 on hi hat too...gives you a light crisp special kind of touch to the hat taht is good for jazz and R&B...just make sure its in hypercardiod pointer straight down at the hat about 12 inches up, because the 414 is so awesome youll get the whole kit, unable to seaperate the hat if it is angled in

There is absolutely no problem with me understanding your posts, keep it as it is! I am asking a lot of different things anyway, I am not exactly making it easy for you to keep track of things.

I would much rather buy analogue than plugins. I was never a fan of those (pay monthly fees to use our plugins that you will never own) approaches. I don’t have outboard gear but I am left with a setup that allows for it. I brought a patchbay ready for it and have space in my rack. It is just something I have yet to fill. When it comes to plugins I use Rbass, ProQ2 and Fabfilter Saturn and that is just about it! Oh and probably the most important ADPTR A/B Reference, so I can dig deep into pro mixes to dissect them as best I can. I use the ProQ2 on the master without any EQ applied purely as a spectrum analyzer. ProQ3 would make my life much easier but I don’t mind getting by with stock plugins (I use LogicX) If I am going to spend a lot of money, I would like those nice mics, compressors, pre-amps, instruments etc.. I just get a bad vibe with throwing money at plugins. These things never existed not so long ago anyway, so this tells me everything I need to know. 

I would of course love all the latest and greatest plugins though, and that will come later.

My monitoring is pretty decent. I can switch my mix on the fly to various playback systems in a treated room, along with Sonarworks Reference although I am not using very often anymore, It’s practically just used as a plugin now to EQ my speakers into a flatter response at listening position only and I only use it briefly to check that my mix is not thrown out of whack, just for a moment.

I might just go for the focusrite Red7 when the time is right. that compressor is pre-preamp? I would rather options, and I have a setup which has allowed for it because I knew I was going to delve into the world of outboard one day.

I have a free day tomorrow, I will be ploughing the entire day into the studio. (good times!)
The first thing I am going to try is boosting that harsh 3.5khz on my acoustic guitars into a compressor and see what happens. I generally have a bump in the low end which is the most dominant so I might activate the sidechain part of the compressor and put a HPF at 500hz, then boost that annoying 3k ish into it. I never though of doing that. Maybe it will sound better than De-essing. Worth a try! I know it is common to boost the air or high end of a vocal into a compressor, warren talks about it all the time. it gives a good smack and is a technique he uses all the time. But to boost that unpleasant frequency into it is a different take on it and eager to try it out to see what kind of effect I get from it. Thank you for mentioning that!

I know you say I can compress in the box but I was thinking a little control on the way into a pre-amp so I can hit that (sweet spot) more consistently might really benefit some of my recordings, just to help me get that extra 1% even! I don’t really know enough about recording to know what I am talking about so I could be talking crap!

interesting take on adding a little room to everything at the start of the mix. This is going to be the second thing I try first thing in the morning! I usually add small room (750ms decay) - 5-7ms predelay, small room algorithm, then high pass it at 200hz and low pass at 5 or 7khz, reason I mention these settings is I am hoping you will tell me if I am doing something wrong! Am I to assume that although you may pan acoustic guitar perhaps 70% Left and Right, you would also pan the room verb directly under those guitars at 70% Left and Right also? I know you mentioned panning FX 100% but I was not sure if you would count the Room reverb as FX.

I am getting soooo much better results by not hard panning my guitars (acoustic guitars) Hard panned guitars sounds not only unnaturally wide, but also FAR too in your face (wide stereo feels too close, it is that bad that I actually feel a sense of relief switching to mono!, my stereo mixes DO sound better, but not for long periods), I am fighting the mix too much to make the hard panned guitars sit right when I could just tighten up the stereo image and be done with it. I am now of the assumption warren has panned his guitars in. I’ve seen Joe Baressi talk about not hard panning acoustic guitars also because of this, and you mentioned CLA not doing it. I think panning my guitars tastefully could honestly be the single biggest thing I can do for my current mix to improve it.

I got pissed off a little while back because I reached out to Warren directly to ask him politely and I did not get a response at all, I have been a paying customer of his for 4 years + at the academy and it was just a simple question that would have taken just a moment. Nobody else in the academy knew the answer nor could help me so I have been banging my head up against the wall trying out a lot of different things and struggling along with it, which is fine too, I am learning a lot in the process but a nudge in the right direction would have been awesome!, and while panning the guitars in of course sounds better, I still felt like I was doing things wrong. So I am looking forward to trying out your panning suggestions with reverb a little further out to see if this really improves the stereo image. With Distorted guitars, there is never a problem, 100% L/R sounds great to me. Acoustic…… not so much.

My approach to a mix is a little different, I don’t even balance my tracks while listening to the whole frequency range. Lately the first thing I do

1.Master EQ, HPF 300hz, LPF 4khz, THEN I balance my tracks using faders only, this puts my mids somewhere near, and already my mix will translate to a crappy speaker.

2: Bypass master EQ, now the low end is all over the place and without touching a fader anymore, I will sort out the low end using EQ only, create the seperation, do my high passing etc. And then the same for the top end, above 4k. I guess this technique is similar to what some people do when they do the first part of the mix on one of those crappy speakers, or auratone or whatever. which I do not own. I find it so much easier to get that low end right once the mids are already sounding pretty balanced, an out of control low end becomes painfully obvious to me at this point but if listening to the mix’s full frequency from the start, my ear adjusts and I lose perspective very quickly and can end up with far too much, or too little low end if not careful

3: panning first, checking in mono so I can hear the level drops from the panned tracks, fine tuning EQ’s, compressing etc.

4: Adding FX

5: automations.

6: Listening on different playback systems.

Tomorrow I will try out a different workflow, i think i will have a go at adding room verbs near the beginning, panning differently, mixing in mono until I get that seperation etc. I think I will end up with a totally different result, it could be a really good thing.

My Mix approach up above was using the (magic is in the mids) approach. I thought I would give it a try, it does help. but truthfully it’s just like using stabilizers when learning how to ride a bike. I won’t do it that way forever, my ear will become good enough to hear those mids even through all of the gunky low end in time. but right now I find it too difficult. it can mask important frequencies, much like when too much low end can bury a vocal that shines in 5k. It’s a weird phenomenon and I don’t know why it happens but focusing on the mid range can really help me. I guess there is a good reason why some mixers swear by auratones, or ns10’s etc.

You posts are not at all too long, with all of the information in there I am still very thankful for you spending the time to reply to me in this thread. I am trying my best not to ask you many more questions. I know you are busy! There is definitely no need to get back to me anytime soon. Just whenever you feel like it.

Thanks man. I’m digging this thread, I am looking forward to diggin into this stuff tomorrow!

edit: I know a lot is written, and it's unavoidable because of the detail you are going into. But just so you know other people are reading these too and not commenting and are finding it very helpful. I know this because I have had Private Messages telling me this. But I will calm down on the questions because it's not fair I take up all of your time. You have loaded me up with enough to keep my quite busy for a long time actually!

Last edited:
There is absolutely no problem with me understanding your posts, keep it as it is! I am asking a lot of different things anyway, I am not exactly making it easy for you to keep track of things.

I would much rather buy analogue than plugins. I was never a fan of those (pay monthly fees to use our plugins that you will never own) approaches. I don’t have outboard gear but I am left with a setup that allows for it. I brought a patchbay ready for it and have space in my rack. It is just something I have yet to fill. When it comes to plugins I use Rbass, ProQ2 and Fabfilter Saturn and that is just about it! Oh and probably the most important ADPTR A/B Reference, so I can dig deep into pro mixes to dissect them as best I can. I use the ProQ2 on the master without any EQ applied purely as a spectrum analyzer. ProQ3 would make my life much easier but I don’t mind getting by with stock plugins (I use LogicX) If I am going to spend a lot of money, I would like those nice mics, compressors, pre-amps, instruments etc.. I just get a bad vibe with throwing money at plugins. These things never existed not so long ago anyway, so this tells me everything I need to know. 

I would of course love all the latest and greatest plugins though, and that will come later.

My monitoring is pretty decent. I can switch my mix on the fly to various playback systems in a treated room, along with Sonarworks Reference although I am not using very often anymore, It’s practically just used as a plugin now to EQ my speakers into a flatter response at listening position only and I only use it briefly to check that my mix is not thrown out of whack, just for a moment.

I might just go for the focusrite Red7 when the time is right. that compressor is pre-preamp? I would rather options, and I have a setup which has allowed for it because I knew I was going to delve into the world of outboard one day.

I have a free day tomorrow, I will be ploughing the entire day into the studio. (good times!)
The first thing I am going to try is boosting that harsh 3.5khz on my acoustic guitars into a compressor and see what happens. I generally have a bump in the low end which is the most dominant so I might activate the sidechain part of the compressor and put a HPF at 500hz, then boost that annoying 3k ish into it. I never though of doing that. Maybe it will sound better than De-essing. Worth a try! I know it is common to boost the air or high end of a vocal into a compressor, warren talks about it all the time. it gives a good smack and is a technique he uses all the time. But to boost that unpleasant frequency into it is a different take on it and eager to try it out to see what kind of effect I get from it. Thank you for mentioning that!

I know you say I can compress in the box but I was thinking a little control on the way into a pre-amp so I can hit that (sweet spot) more consistently might really benefit some of my recordings, just to help me get that extra 1% even! I don’t really know enough about recording to know what I am talking about so I could be talking crap!

interesting take on adding a little room to everything at the start of the mix. This is going to be the second thing I try first thing in the morning! I usually add small room (750ms decay) - 5-7ms predelay, small room algorithm, then high pass it at 200hz and low pass at 5 or 7khz, reason I mention these settings is I am hoping you will tell me if I am doing something wrong! Am I to assume that although you may pan acoustic guitar perhaps 70% Left and Right, you would also pan the room verb directly under those guitars at 70% Left and Right also? I know you mentioned panning FX 100% but I was not sure if you would count the Room reverb as FX.

I am getting soooo much better results by not hard panning my guitars (acoustic guitars) Hard panned guitars sounds not only unnaturally wide, but also FAR too in your face (wide stereo feels too close, it is that bad that I actually feel a sense of relief switching to mono!, my stereo mixes DO sound better, but not for long periods), I am fighting the mix too much to make the hard panned guitars sit right when I could just tighten up the stereo image and be done with it. I am now of the assumption warren has panned his guitars in. I’ve seen Joe Baressi talk about not hard panning acoustic guitars also because of this, and you mentioned CLA not doing it. I think panning my guitars tastefully could honestly be the single biggest thing I can do for my current mix to improve it.

I got pissed off a little while back because I reached out to Warren directly to ask him politely and I did not get a response at all, I have been a paying customer of his for 4 years + at the academy and it was just a simple question that would have taken just a moment. Nobody else in the academy knew the answer nor could help me so I have been banging my head up against the wall trying out a lot of different things and struggling along with it, which is fine too, I am learning a lot in the process but a nudge in the right direction would have been awesome!, and while panning the guitars in of course sounds better, I still felt like I was doing things wrong. So I am looking forward to trying out your panning suggestions with reverb a little further out to see if this really improves the stereo image. With Distorted guitars, there is never a problem, 100% L/R sounds great to me. Acoustic…… not so much.

My approach to a mix is a little different, I don’t even balance my tracks while listening to the whole frequency range. Lately the first thing I do

1.Master EQ, HPF 300hz, LPF 4khz, THEN I balance my tracks using faders only, this puts my mids somewhere near, and already my mix will translate to a crappy speaker.

2: Bypass master EQ, now the low end is all over the place and without touching a fader anymore, I will sort out the low end using EQ only, create the seperation, do my high passing etc. And then the same for the top end, above 4k. I guess this technique is similar to what some people do when they do the first part of the mix on one of those crappy speakers, or auratone or whatever. which I do not own. I find it so much easier to get that low end right once the mids are already sounding pretty balanced, an out of control low end becomes painfully obvious to me at this point but if listening to the mix’s full frequency from the start, my ear adjusts and I lose perspective very quickly and can end up with far too much, or too little low end if not careful

3: panning first, checking in mono so I can hear the level drops from the panned tracks, fine tuning EQ’s, compressing etc.

4: Adding FX

5: automations.

6: Listening on different playback systems.

Tomorrow I will try out a different workflow, i think i will have a go at adding room verbs near the beginning, panning differently, mixing in mono until I get that seperation etc. I think I will end up with a totally different result, it could be a really good thing.

My Mix approach up above was using the (magic is in the mids) approach. I thought I would give it a try, it does help. but truthfully it’s just like using stabilizers when learning how to ride a bike. I won’t do it that way forever, my ear will become good enough to hear those mids even through all of the gunky low end in time. but right now I find it too difficult. it can mask important frequencies, much like when too much low end can bury a vocal that shines in 5k. It’s a weird phenomenon and I don’t know why it happens but focusing on the mid range can really help me. I guess there is a good reason why some mixers swear by auratones, or ns10’s etc.

You posts are not at all too long, with all of the information in there I am still very thankful for you spending the time to reply to me in this thread. I am trying my best not to ask you many more questions. I know you are busy! There is definitely no need to get back to me anytime soon. Just whenever you feel like it.

Thanks man. I’m digging this thread, I am looking forward to diggin into this stuff tomorrow!

edit: I know a lot is written, and it's unavoidable because of the detail you are going into. But just so you know other people are reading these too and not commenting and are finding it very helpful. I know this because I have had Private Messages telling me this. But I will calm down on the questions because it's not fair I take up all of your time. You have loaded me up with enough to keep my quite busy for a long time actually!
if you use all analog outgear, you will get a better sound, just make sure you gain stage at ever place in the chain. And if Hard LR is ginving you better results, go with what your ears hear Jamz. No one is there, and suggestions are just that. No one knows what your instruments sound like or the color/ efficacy your units are providing, or your mics. You sound like you have a good formula. Trust your ears. If a suggestions betters the sound, go with it. If not, toss it. Jam on

(Edit: I am considering renting one perhaps also, if not going to prove to be a pain, or cost a good chunk of what it would be to actually buy the mic outright)
Just my 2 cents having rented mics for live gigs, it is often surprisingly affordable! You might need to put down a deposit since it’s a more expensive piece of equipment, but you’d get that back.

if you use all analog outgear, you will get a better sound, just make sure you gain stage at ever place in the chain. And if Hard LR is ginving you better results, go with what your ears hear Jamz. No one is there, and suggestions are just that. No one knows what your instruments sound like or the color/ efficacy your units are providing, or your mics. You sound like you have a good formula. Trust your ears. If a suggestions betters the sound, go with it. If not, toss it. Jam!
Hard panning doesn't sound very good to me! I want to try panning the CLA way, and as you suggested. When I hard pan, those guitars become too much, So I'm going to spend a lot of time bouncing down a few mixes tomorrow with a much more narrow image for something to listen back to later to see what I prefer. Sorry for confusion, I got tired tonight so my grammar not the best.

Just my 2 cents having rented mics for live gigs, it is often surprisingly affordable! You might need to put down a deposit since it’s a more expensive piece of equipment, but you’d get that back.
Thanks max, I am going to look into this tomorrow. Cheers for the head up!

forget em Snowman, just ask, ill tell...although we might have to go to some side talk where we can get indepth...the poor guys on this platform who just want to comment are having to put up with the novels i keep writing for answers. Its totally unfair, but i cant help myself. I truly want people who are seeking to know. I had absolutely no help at all, until i got signed in 1990. Then in LA i was in the studio with Benson, Wah Wah Watson. Chaka Khan, Toto. Rick Rubin...and engineers like Clearmountain..and suddenly people were telling me things...alot of things. That shaped what i did and the choices i made, even the instruments i learned. I like when i can affect someone like that
I have no problems asking questions. It's understanding the answers where I lack.

You must be an extremely nice person to have others willing to help you learn. As the old saying goes "Good things happen to good people."

Back