All mixed up

apush

This is my first attempt at writing and mixing my own stuff in nearly 4 years. That's right - I had a 4 year writer's block. 4 years! Let me know what you think.

I wrote and performed everything except drums.

All vox are buried.

The bass guitar sounds way round...and the graph shows a significant roll-off in the mix under 125Hz. Both the bass drum and bass guitar are fighting in the space just above that, I think.

I'd try rolling off bass above 250 with a wide Q, add 2000 slap the the bass drum, and suppress the 300-500 range on it. Then I'd make sure the bass was sounding down to the low E...

The guitars are crisp..and I wouldn't mess with anything else until I got the two things above squared away. As I listened, I boosted the 32Hz and 61Hz ranges +10 and +6...it sounded way better starting rockin'.......but there's still mud around 300-500. Could be the result of the way the bass is played, too. Might need to be thinned because it plays long notes or punches with the guitars.

FWWIW. And congrats on busting out of the block! I know how bad that sucks.

All vox are buried.

The bass guitar sounds way round...and the graph shows a significant roll-off in the mix under 125Hz. Both the bass drum and bass guitar are fighting in the space just above that, I think.

I'd try rolling off bass above 250 with a wide Q, add 2000 slap the the bass drum, and suppress the 300-500 range on it. Then I'd make sure the bass was sounding down to the low E...

The guitars are crisp..and I wouldn't mess with anything else until I got the two things above squared away. As I listened, I boosted the 32Hz and 61Hz ranges +10 and +6...it sounded way better starting rockin'.......but there's still mud around 300-500. Could be the result of the way the bass is played, too. Might need to be thinned because it plays long notes or punches with the guitars.

FWWIW. And congrats on busting out of the block! I know how bad that sucks.

Thanks. I've been having a hard time with getting the bass right. I think a lot of that is due to my monitoring setup. I'm using Event PS5's and the bass is pretty lacking on those. Also, I've never tracked distorted guitars. I'll give your suggestions a try when I get home. I am considering sound replacement on my kick drum. I am really unhappy with it.

Yeah...that might be good...something with a blend of quick thud and snap...without 'mook'

And, if they're midi...you might want to check to psudo-swing part for errant hits on something in the kit...I remember hearing some fish. Made me think they were live...and not in a good way! :^)

Yeah...that might be good...something with a blend of quick thud and snap...without 'mook'

And, if they're midi...you might want to check to psudo-swing part for errant hits on something in the kit...I remember hearing some fish. Made me think they were live...and not in a good way! :^)

ok. now you're speaking Japanese. psuedo-swing? fish?

Back