All-In-One's (Tascam X-48 etc.)......What's the point???

AudioClueless

Hey guys....fairly new to the scene although because of a love for the art, I have been trying to learn as much as possible over the last year or two while I continue to save up for my own jump into the fray...

Anyway on my question.

Tascam recently came out with the X-48 recorder. My question is, who are these machines for and really what is the point of buying one?

From what I can tell all the X-48 is, is a glorified PC with the recording software already installed. Is this the case?

I am not even sure what the plug in support really is...From what I have heard(Tascam rep) you should record on the X-48 then perform all of your editing, effects, and mixdown on a seperate computer....Why?

Does it really make sense to purchase on these while you would still need the same interfaces, and additional software and hardware you would need on a PC based system?

Can the price really be justified for a computer with nothing more than recording software installed....

Am I out to lunch on this one...or is Tascam?

Edited: I guess this question can be applied to any "all-in-one workstation"

Last edited:
They allow you to easily record on the road for one. Some people favour the simplicity of DAWs like these. Its a fact that PCs crash and there is simply less to go wrong with an "all in one". Also they can be relatively good value for money. Think about all the extra kit you need to run a high quality home studio from a PC. Interfaces, coupla screens is common, often a set of preamps. All this is built in plus more (or its not required).

That would make sense except that, at least for the X-48, you still need the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc, or a control surface..as well as an interface I do believe as there appear to be no mic inserts.

I do agree with the reliability factor though as well as the portability, but for a fixed setup I'm not sure it is really worth the money.

It definately fills a market niche but for most applications are there not better solutions?

Thoughts?

TravisinFlorida said:
I don't see why anyone would buy something like that. Looks like a glorifed pc to me.

That was exactly my point...is there something I am missing as to why this type of setup is such a good thing??

My studio partner is very keen on buying one of these after speaking with a Tascam rep who said ..."this thing is gonna blow everyone away" I just don't see what on earth could possibly be hiding in this box that makes it so wonderful.

I am sure even the processers are running at a speed only comparable to today's average PC. For somewhere around $4000-5000+ USD for a bare bones system with no options installed, it seems you could build a far superior recording computer for less than half that price.

I could see if it included a built in mixing console, screen/monitor, interface etc etc....but many have absolutely none of those features, the X-48 included.

Any Tascam MX2424 users care to jump in on this?

Here's the link to tascam.com's page on the X-48

http://tascam.com/Products/x48.html

Last edited:
Anyone?

Bump...Any opinions on this type of setup (all in ones / X48 etc) would be appreciated.

Is my partner simply throwing money away????

I use an MX2424 for tracking. Take a look at the back of an X48, and you will get an idea what the market is for these devices. Mostly small and mid level pro. A lot of sync capability for video, etc. Also, when was the last time you heard of anyone recording 48 tracks simultaneously on a PC?

I use the 2424 like the sales guy said. I track to it, then use Sonar to mixdown. No expensive interface needed, just a good stereo card for monitoring. For the average home studio, the x48 is overkill. Pick up a used 2424 (be sure to get the A to D interface - the units come bare with no I/O at all) on ebay for $2,000.00.

Poco

There are a lot of bands out there that still multitrack their shows every night. Some haul Pro Tools rigs, some haul HD recorders, and some even haul around racks of Tascam DA-88's or even ADAT machines. For anyone like that or anyone who does a lot of live show tracking, an X48 would be a killer machine. It would simplify and speed things up tremendously. In the live industry, speed and simplicity of something like this could be a make or break scenario.

This is really no different than the PT TDM/HD model, if you really look at it. You are paying a chunk of money to be at the mercy of one company. Doesnt mean its bad, soundscape did a great job of this for a bit, so did fairlight, Audiofile and NED. Of course when those companies got in trouble....

Back