All-in-one interfaces

Sangram

I'm looking out for a nice card. My choice earlier was the Audiophile, but recently I've been seeing a crop of cards that have microphone preamp built-in, something that's tempting since I won't be able to repeatedly order stuff online because of stiff duties.

There are two cards I'm looking at: One is the Ego systems Waveterminal 192M which has a nice breakout box with everything onboard, and is $179 at 8thstreet. The other is the Terratec DMX something 24/96 which is considerably more expensive, but allows gaming with EAX and stuff (not critically important, but nice to have 'cause I like some gaming once in a while) and has full 5.1 etc.

I know these will be a step up from live! value, but will they be: as good as the Audiophile/better than the Audiophile/not worth bothering to buy? I need to stay within $250, come what may.

I had a cheap ego-sys card with a built-in pre. It was really noisy.
It was an older card...I hear mostly good things about their cards now. Plus, if the pre's are in the breakout box, it shouldn't be as noisy as what I came across with mine.

I chose the Audiophile2496 for my card and the Audio Buddy for the pres. What's nice about not having the pre's integrated is that I can upgrade to better pre's later on.

Ego-sys makes some pretty fast/low latency drivers as does M-Audio. I'm not too familiar with the Terratec drivers. All of the cards and manufacturers you mentioned were on my research list when I was in the market for a card.

I'm a game developer also, so the Terratec caught my eye also. But I opted to try and keep my DAW strictly for audio and not gaming and went with the M-Audio.

Back