All Glass Booth Quest.

Bloodbought

In the past I have seen All Glass Vocal Booths. I believe the last was under Wyclef Jean producing upstate. Can anyone tell me how this is possible?

Mass-spring-mass theory. Two dissimilar thickness layers of glass, thicker the better, with an air gap between (wider the better)

Example: 3/8" and 1/2" glass, 4" air space between; regular float plate glass, STC 45; using laminated glass, about STC 53.

Glass door could be a real bitch though, not to mention acoustics... Steve

source

Knightfly, can you site a source for me. I would like to study this a little. Thanx

Do you know of any size alterations?

I've not seen such a booth, I just took some typical dimensions and ran them through a handy little freebie demo of a $1000 program for figuring STC and TL of walls, ceilings and windows - you can get your own free copy here -

http://www.insul.co.nz/download.html

The demo is crippled (duh, free vs $1000) but it's still pretty handy. For example, even though the wall calc only lets you use 1/2" gypsum, it lets you use up to 20 layers per side; and, if you click on Material Constants you CAN change the Density - 1/2" sheet rock is 690 kg/m^3, but (on a per session basis) you can change that to whatever you want. If you change it to about 1800, then each 1/2" of "gypsum" is really 1/2" of CONCRETE.

I've used that to model what the STC and low freq TL is for 8" concrete walls with 8" air space and one 1/2" gypsum (just don't change the Density for the second side) - I'm planning a new facility in a couple years, need the isolation but don't want bass traps EVERYWHERE inside, so the lighter inner panel will act as panel type bass traps and still keep isolation good (concrete and air does most of it)

Anyway, sorry I don't have an actual all-glass booth to talk about, hope you enjoy the "freebie"... Steve

Back