Algorithmic Composition

yag

Still Newbie
Hi guys,

I was doing a study on algorithmic composition and now need to do some listening tests on optimizing some parts. I would be very grateful, if some of you can do the test which is like 5 minutes.

http://tiny.cc/e1q8c

Thanks, it will help it does not mean much academically when you say I decided to do it like that because I liked it better, but when you say I have done tests and acted with respect to the results it becomes scientific.

They all are lacking any semblance human quality. The sequences are all too random to convey any emotional equivalence except maybe to R2D2. If you want to compose for humans, it should be "about something". If you want to write for "pop" markets, limit your melodies to 5 notes or less. The highest notes are reserved for the most dramatic parts of the lyric. By the way, the word you were looking for is "Diatonic" not chromatic. Allow some spaces between notes to let the lyric "breathe" (the singer too) Have long notes and short notes as well as some silences. If you are creating the algorhythm, try to include some of these ideas.
The best melodies will be "lyric driven". That is to say, the melody will support the lyric and will help the listener's experience.

C

Back