Alesis Studio 24

Promkingdrummer

Hello everybody, I have an Alesis studio 24 and am using it to record onto my computer, but when I record (regardless of the mic I use), I get a sorta hissing and buzzing noise, and thought it is really quiet and cant really be heard when the guitars are playing, is there any way that I can keep from having the noise? Thanks in advance to everybody for the help.

You might have the gain set to high somewhere between the mixer and your computer interface. Do you hear this hissing when you monitor straight from the board?
With that said, I owned a studio 24 and 32 a few years back and though they both had tons of routing options(obviously a plus) , I found both of mine to be noisy. Both of them had a considerable amount of crosstalk bewtween the channels. It wasn't enough to ruin a recording but it was enough to take note of.

I came really close to buying one of these boards a while back. I put it on lay-a-way and started reading the reviews of the board online. After reading all the horror stories and people claiming behringer put better pres in there boards I went and got my money back.

Thanks for the replies, I dont really hear the hissing when I moniter straight from the board, I mean it is still sorta there, just not as loud, and like stated, it is not bad enough to ruin any recordings, I just have to do a little more work on the computer to get it to sound better. So if anybody knows a solution to the problem, please let me know. Thanks again for the help.

If you don't hear it when monitoring direct from the board then it is probably being introduced somewhere in the process of getting into the computer. Sounds like a gain staging problem. How do you have the mixer setup? What interface are you recoridng into?

Well, I really dont know what it was, but it stopped, I ajusted some different things and I really dont know what fixed it, but it is not making the noise anymore. Thanks for all of the help, it may have been a gain problem, I wish I could tell you but I really dont know what it was or why it stopped, but it did and I am happy. Thanks for all of the help.

Hi.
I'm a very careful owner and have the bad luck to own one of these things for more than 4 years. It needed to be serviced 4 times over that period of time. Components are awful, just take a look inside: horrible engineering.
Anyway to be fair i must said the the Soundcraft E6 i have now is quite noisier. So i wouln't complain abouth Studio 24's in that area.

Regards

rokko said:
Hi.
I'm a very careful owner and have the bad luck to own one of these things for more than 4 years. It needed to be serviced 4 times over that period of time. Components are awful, just take a look inside: horrible engineering.
Anyway to be fair i must said the the Soundcraft E6 i have now is quite noisier. So i wouln't complain abouth Studio 24's in that area.

Regards

The S24 is an average board with average features. Like Wireneck prev'ly stated cut your gain and start your faders @ unity then increase.

BTW bigwillz, there is absolutely no way Beh's pre's are better than the A-24 (or 32). This was proven in side-by-side A/B tests perf'med by myself & Recording Engineer some years back. We tested input sensitivity ratings & output performance and the Alesis boards achieved a greater gain rating of 2-3 db more & lower s/n ratio when using Hi-Sens (condensor) mics then when using Beh's MX line of mixers.
I own both the A24 & 32 and prev'ly owned the 2624!

I now use a Topaz 24/8 whcih blows the doors off of both of them.

I own both the A24 & 32 and prev'ly owned the 2624!

I now use a Topaz 24/8 whcih blows the doors off of both of them.

Haha Q im right there with you. I owned both the 24 and the 32 at one point. I now own a Soundtracs Solo 24 channel board, definite improvement over the Alesis.

i know it seems like nobody loves the little alesis...
but
i've had mine for 7 years, in 3 different studios, and i have never had a problem, no static, no hiss, no component failure.. nada.. it works execellently for me.. the routing options are a plus.. the line thru works great with my 8 channel A/D.. and it also doubles as a board for practices (sending to my power amp-vocals,keys etc.)
the pres my not be great but what do you expect on a little mixing board... use the money you saved on the alesis for some 'quality' pres..

seismetr0n said:
i know it seems like nobody loves the little alesis...
but
i've had mine for 7 years, in 3 different studios, and i have never had a problem, no static, no hiss, no component failure.. nada.. it works execellently for me.. the routing options are a plus.. the line thru works great with my 8 channel A/D.. and it also doubles as a board for practices (sending to my power amp-vocals,keys etc.)
the pres my not be great but what do you expect on a little mixing board... use the money you saved on the alesis for some 'quality' pres..

No brother, don't get me wrong! I'll take an Alesis over a Nady, Behringer, Peavy (or other boards in it's price range) etc, any day of the week!
However, 1 of the MAJOR faults of Alesis 24 & 32 is it's insistence on constructing boards utilizing buttons soooo small, you can't tell if they're depressed or not (only the MUTE & SOLO switches have lites indicating on position... otherwise bouncing and monitor buttons should have some sort of indicator)1

how about the alesis multimix 16, is it good for homerecoarding, usb, how many mic inputs and outputs.... experiences anyone or suggestions. thanx

thomas_cansing said:
how about the alesis multimix 16, is it good for homerecoarding, usb, how many mic inputs and outputs.... experiences anyone or suggestions. thanx

The Multimix 16 is an 8 channel mixer w. 3 band eq (hi-shelving @ 12khz), 2 aux sends (1 is pre &post fader while the 2nd is post fader or outboard efx units). The unit has a hi smpl rt of 44.1 with a spdif dig'tl out and a USB and comes with Steinberg Cubase LE.

The MM16 as with most of Alesis mixers is an average USB mixer constructed with the most basics of components. The units pres max out +14dbu's and are barely adequate . The16 also comes with an external wal-wart!

It's a decent unit(though it's onboard efx sound kind of cheezy) but it makes a good starting point for the budget.

Back