Alesis S/PDIF question.

ArSa69

First and foremost...this is my first thread and maybe second post here. So be kind please.

Browsing the web i came across a digital coaxial cable and then realized i have never used the digital output of my little Alesis iO|2. Now it has an in and an out socket.

My doubt here is this: Can i record from a digital device using the digital in or does it have something to do with the sound itself? By this i mean something like the send and returns of a mixer. Do i need to have both plugged to something? Doest it become another channel?

Up to now i have only used the analog outs

Because if not i'm thinking I could probably use a home theater to listen to what i'm making in my DAW. Not that it would be accurate audio but it would be interesting i guess.

Thanks beforehand...

You can use that digital input just like you would use analog ins. It's a separate pair of channels and should show in your daw as such.

You just have to ensure that your outputting hardware has spdif output and can operate at the same bit depth and sample rate as your interface.

Some 2 channel preamps have SPDIF output. That's a perfect example of how you'd put the port to use.

Back