Alesis RA 100 or Hafler P1500?

geekgurl

Anyone have experience with both of these amps to say if one's better than the other? I have to say, the specs I've found on them make them both out to be pretty similar (except Alesis claims their amp pumps out more watts per channel at 8 ohms; and the Hafler is bridge-mono-capable, while the Alesis doesn't appear to be). I currently have the Alesis but have an opportunity to purchase a P1500 used; I will only be keeping one amp, so either passing on the Hafler or getting it and selling my Alesis. Any insight would be a great help.

Sincerely,

Annie Alesis (or is that Harriet Hafler?)

Hey GG,

I currently have an Alesis RA 150............but I have no doubt, based on info from some of our resident "pros" that the Hafler is a better option. At the time I was buying, $ were a major consideration and the Hafler over here is approx 2x the price of an Alesis.

:cool:

Cool, thanks for the input (er, no pun intended) folks.

No votes for the Alesis over Hafler. Very interesting. So I know specs can be deceiving, but basically you're all in agreement that THD and power rating, etc. are pretty much dookie when it comes to these two products ...

Yeah, I'd love to have a P3000, and the dude I can buy from HAD one, but he sold that. Damn. That was the one I wanted. But I'd "settle" for the P1500.

On the subject, can anyone comment on the sound-quality difference between Hafler's P series and TA series? TA seems to have less power, but other than that what's the dealio?

I have both an Alesis RA-100 and a ton of hafler amps of all shapes and sizes.

there isnt even close to a comparison. The alesis is a thin distorted, weak amp while the hafler's for the most part are nice and full. Plus hafler's tech support is REALLY REALLY cool. Then again they are 20 minutes from me, so Im kinda biased, but soundwise, it is like PC speakers VS Genelecs

I asked this very question a month or so ago. I now have an Hafler T-1600. Got it at guitar Center for $199.99. Gidge said to mention Musicians Friends Price and they matched it. Thanks Again all those who helped me in that purchase. Its a fine amplifier.

Peace,
SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
I asked this very question a month or so ago. I now have an Hafler T-1600. Got it at guitar Center for $199.99. Gidge said to mention Musicians Friends Price and they matched it. Thanks Again all those who helped me in that purchase. Its a fine amplifier.

Peace,
SoMm

I agree that the T-1600 is an excellent bargain over the RA-100 but if I had a chance to get into the P series for not much more than the T series and be able to pick it up in person which was what I was able to do than there is no question as to what amp I was going to buy.Not to mention it was in excellent condition.I think I paid $260.00 for it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank you all ...

... for your advice regarding the Hafler P1500. You folks are SO right. The Hafler is waaaayy better than the Alesis. I just picked that one up and tested it against my Alesis. No comparison.

Anyone wanna buy an Alesis? ;)

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Harriet Hafler

GG, how would you describe the difference between the amps?

Has anyone any knowledge of the "supposed" improvements in the later series of Alesis amps (i.e: the RA 150/300) as opposed to the original RA 100.

:cool:

The Hafler P1000 was the "entry" level Hafler, before they had their budget
line. The P3000 is more powerful though.
Another good manufacturer is Adcom, the 535 is an entry level audiophile
amp you may want to check out. e-bay is a good spot to find one.

Chris

Hi Ausrock:

The difference between the Hafler and the Alesis is exactly how pipeline classified it: the Alesis is thinner sounding ... since I have a problem common to home recordists in getting bass to translate thru my 8" cone monitors (mine are Event 20/20s), I chalked it up to the monitors being what they are and my room being what it is. However, it seems this Hafler does a much better job at translating those: I don't know whether that means it's "hyped" or whether the Alesis was "scooped" in the lows.

As far as improvements over the RA 100 for new Alesis, I haven't a clue; I DO know the RA-150 is NOT as powerful watts into ohms wise; but then again the Hafler P1500 is rated at lower power and yet it is clearer and has much louder output (I can crank the Alesis nearly all the way and not get intimidated by the decibels -- I'm a sensitive girl -- and yet I couldn't approach that on the 1500). So, it may be that Alesis gave their newer amps better translation, efficiency, signal-to-noise, and/or THD ratings. It may be useless to compare Hafler's specs with Alesis, but you'd think comparing an Alesis to an Alesis would be more like apples to apples. I believe they have manuals for all the amps on their Web site.

As you can imagine, my limited emperical data means I also have no idea how the P1000 and P1500 compare. I sure wish I had found that guy's ad earlier ... I would've bought the P3000 in a heartbeat. Still, I'd say the P1500 is definitely not lacking in power or clarity in my limited experience.

Having had first hand experience between a RA 100 and a P3000, the RA 100 sounded "smaller", and sort of had a "veil" over the sound in comparison. It was one of the most drastic comparisons I have even done on a dedicated power amp in my life! and I have used MANY different brands of power amps over the years. I just couldn't believe that the Alesis sounded so bad!

Way to go geekgurl on your purchase. Your monitor path is one of the most important things you can do to help improve your recordings. If you are not hearing it the way it is, you will make many mistakes concerning how things need to sound.

Ed

Back