Alesis MultiMix Firewire 8

BlahZayy1190

Im purchasing the Alesis MultiMix Firewire 8 and Im wanting to set it up with Cubase Le 4 and Reaper. Im running Vista Home 32 bit. a couple of questions..

1) How compatible is the Alesis MultiMix Firewire 8 with Vista Home 32 bit, running a RealTek sound card?

2) Is the Alesis MultiMix Firewire 8 a plug and play Mixer/Interface? Is all I have to do is hook it up via Firewire cable, set my default playback and recording settings to the Alesis MultiMix Firewire 8 and start mixing?

I have that mixer. It is 'plug and Pray'. The firewire interface never worked.. even after spending the equivalent cost of the mixer in phone bills, replacement fireware card for PC, new firewire cable, the cost to SHIP to mixer to Alesis to try and get it fixed... they replaced it .. and the new one STILL doesn't work.

Seriously, my advice would be to buy something else if you want the firewire functionality. Everything else on the mixer works, except the firewire.

And me. Plugged mine into a basic dell laptop with stock soundcard. I use Reaper software. Took about an hour or so to get it to work right with the firewire. My biggest issue was I needed to disable virus software and my wireless connection. After that works like a charm.

well, which would be easier to set up, the usb 2.0 version or the firewire version?

what do you guys mean 'getting it to work right with firewire?" dont you just plug the firewire cable in and setup playback/recording under the sound tabs? sry if im missing something...

Last edited:
I have read that some folks have a lot of trouble getting this to work with the firewire. I've hear using this mixer with Vista is a real motherfu**er. I have XP. Downloaded the latest drivers. Use google if you have questions. Lots of info there. I got this over the USB version because I've read firewire has a better transfer rate than USB. Good luck.

I might have recorded two hours with mine using the firewire connection, then it just refused to work. Replaced cable, reinstalled drivers (a daily task) tried it on different computers and still no go. I say run the other way!

Once again it sounds like Vista has mercilessly failed us as an Operating System. But I might be wrong...

Back