Alesis MM16-FW - Part Two

Crash ©

Well, as if I didn't have enough problems getting this thing up and going and working right.. It went Tits Up on me yesterday morning.. Turn it on, and I get a pop that I'm surprised didn't blow a speaker and then nothing but a 60hz hum through the speakers..

Not sure what blew, but the tech support guy started talking about I must have had a bad spike and was trying to work a "it ain't our fault" direction right from the get go.. I told him the mixer was on the same surge protector that a laptop and studio montitors are on, and that it is NOT just a power strip, it's a full blown APC SURGE PROTECTOR... And there's another laptop on the same AC circuit that's not on a surge protector.. If it was a surge, nothing else got nailed (highly unlikely)....

So after just a shade over 2 months and less than 20 hours on the thing, it's on it's way back to Alesis for a rebuild or replacement.. And although it's common practice, me paying the shipping for this deal, just don't seem right...

<EDIT> Oh yeah.. They said it'll be about one month turn around time.. WTF...???

--
Rob

Just got a call from the tech dept with Alesis. They recommended sending a new unit rather than repair this one.. It was so toasted they didnt' even know where to start doing a repair..

They are also going to send me a copy of the Cubase LE 1.0.8 upgrade.. There's a rumor that it will allow up to 8 channels at a time to be recorded as opposed to the 4 channels that 1.0.7 does... They couldn't confirm or deny if it would record 8 channels or not...

--
Rob

Got the new MM16 yesterday... Powered it up last night just to make sure it would.. Looks like new unit, rather than a refurb (which was what I was expecting), but it's not hard to toss an unopened bag of software and manuals in with a cleaned up unit..

Will figure out if it works right this weekend sometime... I hope...

--
Rob

Just in case anyone's reading...

Got everything hooked up and flying right now.. All the problems I've had in the past are gone with the new unit.. I can run it with the onboard Firewire rather than a PCMCIA Firewire card, I was able to do the firmware updates no problem, the Alesis Control Panel is fully functional..

Only got one problem... The damn thing thinks it's a MULTIMIX 12..!!!! I can only get 4 mic in, 8 line level and the 2 Main Mix to respond to Cubase..!!! Back on the Tech Support line.. I may look back on this one day and laugh, but it's looking doubtful..

--
Rob

When you sent your unit back, did they require a receipt? Just curious because my stereo line ins sometimes go haywire and make this crazy screeching sound. Must reset everything to make it go away. They tried to tell me that im creating a digital feedback, If course know that this is false. If that were the case it would happen all the time. As of now it just happens some of the time with same setup and settings.

Yeah, you've gotta have a receipt to send it back... You can CREATE one if you have to though.. Just takes some creative graphics work... Ya cold use a copy of mine, could email it to ya, but I think it has serial # info on it.. That's where you'd have to get creative.. At this point I don't mind fudging shit to Alesis to get a problem resolved.. You might be able to get a copy from the place you bought it from, before you go through all that trouble though.

Anyroads.. Just got off the phone with them, they said send it back to them and they will fix it.. Something about having a wrong resistor on the board, nothing I can fix (well I could if they told me which resistor I need to change, and if it wouldn't void the warranty which I feel now I'm gonna need in its fullest extent).. Told them there was no way in hell I was paying to ship it to them again and that I was getting sick and tired of this turn around crap and they offered to pay for GROUND shipping.. I asked since this was a NEW unit if they could just ship another one and have this one picked up and was given a run around about they can't ship anything out of the warehouse for about 4 weeks..

Trying to go over and around the first round of customer service and at LEAST get this bumpped up to overnight shipping each way on their tab. Waiting on a call back from Robert Ray, he seems to be the go to guy to get problems resolved.. Will see how it goes and let ya know..

At this point the ONLY recommendation I can give anyone on Alesis is to STAY AWAY from them... This is getting F'n ridiculous...

--
Rob

They've had it for over a week and I haven't heard back.. Gonna try and call 'em in the AM..

Mostly this is just a BUMP so I don't loose this thread before the saga is over..

--
Rob

Got it back and hooked up yesterday... So far so good... Doing everything it was SUPPOSED to do in the first place... FINALLY..!!! And it only took 4 months.. I wonder if my warranty is prorated...

--
Rob

Back