Alesis Masterlink problem

Tyler Sherman

Hey, haven't posted here in quite a while. Actually I haven't done much in my home studio recently, been playing live a lot instead.

I still use my Alesis Masterlink all the time, though, for all sorts of things. I've had it about 10 years & it's been a great machine...until now. Last night I accidentally turned it off right after I put it in "create CD" mode. Now when I turn it back on it won't do anything except display a message that says "OS not found. Load OS?". There is nothing in the manual about what this might mean so I'm clueless. Anyone here ever have this problem and, if so, what did you do to solve it?

Any info greatly appreciated. I'm lost without this thing! I've got a program in it that I need to make a CD of by this coming weekend. I'm hopeful you guys will be able to help me. Thanks.

Tyler Sherman said:
Hey, haven't posted here in quite a while. Actually I haven't done much in my home studio recently, been playing live a lot instead.

I still use my Alesis Masterlink all the time, though, for all sorts of things. I've had it about 10 years & it's been a great machine...until now. Last night I accidentally turned it off right after I put it in "create CD" mode. Now when I turn it back on it won't do anything except display a message that says "OS not found. Load OS?". There is nothing in the manual about what this might mean so I'm clueless. Anyone here ever have this problem and, if so, what did you do to solve it?

Any info greatly appreciated. I'm lost without this thing! I've got a program in it that I need to make a CD of by this coming weekend. I'm hopeful you guys will be able to help me. Thanks.

this one SHOULD be fairly easy. Go to the Alesis site, find the OS download. Download it, burn it to a CD. Insert the OS disk into the masterlink. it'll read the CD and probably ask you to load the OS.

since we're on the subject .... my Masterlink often will not produce sound when first turned on.
When you hit play, you see the meters showing the signalbut there is no sound .... not thru the outputs or the headphone out.
The only way to get it to produce sound is to hit the CD/HD button a few dozen times ....... then it's fine.
I tried reinitializing it but that didn't work.
I didn't see anything about a hard reset in the manual ...... is that the same as reinitializing?
Anyone have any ideas about this?

ok, i've had plenty of problems with my masterlink. Most were solved by either a.) reloading the operating system. Which as decribed above is easy to obtain from alesis and takes a total of 3 minutes. or b.) formatting the hard drive

1 month after buying it, the cd burner failed and i had to send it to Alesis. They repaired/replaced it and since i have had no problems.

In most cases if i had this much trouble with a piece of gear, i'd get rid of it.

But this is such an absolutely fantastic tool, i'll spend the time formatting and loading the OS as long as i get to keep using it.

One nice thing about alesis is they turned my masterlink around in repair in less then 2 weeks, so call em up.

thanks man ..... I'll try the OS route and see if that'll do it.
I already reformatted it but no help with my particular problem

Thanks for the advice. I also emailed Alesis tech support. They say to reboot while holding down the play & record button to reset it. If that doesn't work they say replace the hard drive. I tried it but no luck. So it looks like a new HD.

Back