Alesis M1 MkII Monitors

Astriaal

hi, i have the opportunity to buy a pair fairly cheaply so i was just wondering if any of you have had much to do with them (im sure some of you would have) and what you're thoughts were on them? thanks

Most people here hate them, and I am firmly in that group. Artificially hyped bass and unclear mids. No point in getting something cheap if it just screws up your mixing. Try a search - this has been much discussed.

alesis did present at namm 2 new models. The old models will be cheaper now.

a friend is using them but he is a dj and needs bass :) Did hear them and it´s not a wrong buy but you should hear the wharfedales before too and compare both.

Astriaal said:
hi, i have the opportunity to buy a pair fairly cheaply so i was just wondering if any of you have had much to do with them (im sure some of you would have) and what you're thoughts were on them? thanks
Ick.........

There are much better alternatives........

I'd read a couple of great reviews of them (one in SOS mag) and bought a pair two years ago to try in my little studio. They didn't work well for me. I was overwhelmed by booming bass in my quirky space and unable to reduce it--no EQ adjustment of any kind. I even stuffed the two bass ports with socks without much success.

They taught me an important lesson, though. Because I can't significantly alter my studio space, which doubles as a dining room, I must be able to tailor the EQ of my monitors a bit. SInce then, I've never loooked at any monitor that doesn't allow me some subtle control over shaping the sound for this imperfect room.

J.

You guys talking about the actives or passives?

The actives have the port in the front, the passives have it in the rear. I own a set of the passives and I would not call the low end hyped.

Actives. I should add, though, that whether they're bass-hyped or not can depend on the room itself. My Alesis' boomed, with a real lack of clarity in the mids and highs (probably a result of the low-end boominess). A simple low-end cut switch, which many monitors have, might have done the trick.
For mixing, I just like a bit brighter sound for detail, and (for me) these Alesis weren't even close. But your tastes are different.

J.

thanks for all the replies guys. i already had a deposit on the alesis's because the price was too good to pass up (i could easily sell them for more than i paid) but i'll be selling them before i even open them to fund the purchase of my wharfedale pro diamond 8.2a's. from what ive read on these forums i suspect many of you would agree that this is a good idea.

Astriaal said:
thanks for all the replies guys. i already had a deposit on the alesis's because the price was too good to pass up (i could easily sell them for more than i paid) but i'll be selling them before i even open them to fund the purchase of my wharfedale pro diamond 8.2a's. from what ive read on these forums i suspect many of you would agree that this is a good idea.

Nah man, let your ears do the talkin'. As people have said, in their rooms the Actives were not for them... However, I know many producers who swear by the MK II's and will not recommend anything but them for studio work as they are low on the fatuge... Sure the Bass might be a bit Boomy but they are lacking in bass anyway (any 6.5in will be) so In fact its a better representation of the bass end...even if slightly boomy... I got the wharfdales only because I got them cheaper than the MKII's sure they are good but, in the end a bottom end speaker doesn't matter too much which ones you get so long as you make music.

I know that long thread about the Wharfedales is pretty persuasive, and yeah they are good for a budget monitor, however when a reputable mag like SOS gives the MK11 big marks you know they are pretty good. I could show you a squillion threads with people raving about them too...!!!

Get those MKII actives out set them up in your room and test some CD's on them...see how they sound??? Play some of your favorite CD's on them and if they are too boomy and reverb a whole bunch in your room...

MK2's

I just went to GC and listened to their set,
the MK2's were a surprising mid-level in comparison
to all, much better than many (especially smaller than 6").

i heard all the Alesis slams here, but there are worse, much worse.

The KRK4" had me smiling, then laughing, fhkng Marketing guys..
$259 each...fhk.hahahaa You could wear em for headphones.
$500 for 2qty 4" sht...I'll bet money the Behringer 8" are better
for $199 pair.

gearlust

dxl said:
the new m1s arent as good as they used to be ever since they have moved their factory
sounds like normal Mfg.
always trying to increase profit margin by making stuff overseas and with cheaper materials. Sometimes the greed pukes all over a engineers design.
Thats what some don't get, there is a "reality" to cheaper not always better.
and same for Marketing selling hype on big $$ crap when the cost/performance isn't there...only a gold coated terminal and emblem.

...the ears.

I was thinking this yesterday listening to the KRK V8 vs the KRK Rockit8's.
They looked the same, same company, both 8" yellow speaker, same DAT
playing thru GC speaker matrix...
but I could hear a difference. (and see a price difference!! damnn)

I think I'll go back and put on a Blindfold and re-listen....hmmm
personally, the Mackies sounded sweetest and were fhkng $1300,
I was looking in the $250 range. doh!!

Back