Alesis M1 Mk2's VS Wharfdale DPro 8.2a's

Kid Downunder

Yo,

Ive seen the thread on the Wharfdales and they look pretty good, however they must be very, very, simular to the ALESIS.

Is there anyone who has tried both and could point out some noticeable differences in the sound?

I will get out to hear the Alesis today, but I have heard the stereo image on the Wharfdales is better so If I go that route may have to buy "SIGHT UNSEEN"

I have a small room untreated (renting) so I want a small monitor, but I produce bass heavy music (techno rock) and figured the 6.5in woofer on these monitors a compramise.

Any thoughts People, specifically on
1) Bass Response\roll off
2) Ear Fatigue
3) Other

Thanks very much for any knowledgble people willing to impart their knowledge!!!

Kid Downunder said:
Yo,

Ive seen the thread on the Wharfdales and they look pretty good, however they must be very, very, simular to the ALESIS.

Is there anyone who has tried both and could point out some noticeable differences in the sound?

I will get out to hear the Alesis today, but I have heard the stereo image on the Wharfdales is better so If I go that route may have to buy "SIGHT UNSEEN"

I have a small room untreated (renting) so I want a small monitor, but I produce bass heavy music (techno rock) and figured the 6.5in woofer on these monitors a compramise.

Any thoughts People, specifically on
1) Bass Response\roll off
2) Ear Fatigue
3) Other

Thanks very much for any knowledgble people willing to impart their knowledge!!!

I have both and these monitors are nothing alike. Alesis have hyped bottom end and crap highs while the Wharfdales and far more well balanced. In addition, IMO the Wharfdales povide a much better image of your mix as well.

You will not be disappointed with the Wharfdales; they are a great monitor for the money.

Last edited:
I'll second that. I've never heard an Alesis speaker I didn't want to throw into a burning building.

Maybe that 's a little harsh...

Then again... :eek:

Simman said:
I have both and these monitors are nothing alike. Alesis have hipped bottom end and crap highs while the Wharfdales and far more well balanced. In addition, IMO the Wharfdales povide a much better image of your mix as well.

You will not be disappointed with the Wharfdales; they are a great monitor for the money.

So you think the Wharfedales have a 'Flater Sound Response'?

I will be producing some bass heavy music, so I need bass, however I don't want it "hyped" as you mention. I only have a small room. Is this why people say "stick a sock in your M1 Mk2's Bass Port" ??

Everyone I know, (mostly dance Dj's) sware by their Alesis M1 Mk's. I suppose maybe they are just a bit of the Project Studio Standard!

If you think they have a nice smooth rounded Bass Response, Do you think I could hook up a Sub and mix sub frequencies at the end of my Mix down? And disconnect at other times..

I really appreciate all comments...cheers..

If you are producing bass heavy music, you're definitely gonna want a sub with the Wharfies.

Any monitor with a 6.5 will need a sub to give you a lot of bass. What you want is a clear image of what your mixing. If a monitor is hyped in the lowend then what you hear is not what your getting. A lot of people who do your style of music have purchased the 8.2A and the KRK RP10 sub to go with it and all have been very happy. You also need to remember if you take the bass load off of your monitor you will get better sound because that one woofer is not trying to reproduce the mids and low.

I have had a few guys tell me to steer clear of these Wharfedales and stick to something in the more PRO-MONITOR end of the market like the FOSTEX or ALESIS as they are less fatiguing on the ears and better quality. These monitors are double ported and going by their specs are a bit heavier and more solid build. Is there an ADVANTAGE or DISADVANTAGE in this???? Better Bass Response?

Here are the options:

Forstex PM-1's $799 AUD (won't get a chance to listen)
Alesis M1 Mk2's $699 AUD (can listen)
Wharfey DPro 8.2a's $580 (won't get a chance to listen)

Seem's like a huge Difference in price if the Wharfey is So Good why the Difference (made in China maybe???)

Im leaning toward the Wharfies as I can use the $120 I save for a SUB. I just need someone to come and kick me over the line!!!

What you should do is steer clear of anyone that uses "Fostex" or "Alesis" in the same sentence as "Pro Monitors." :D

Seriously - We're talking about "entry level" monitoring here. Still, the Wharfies (IMHO) have a much better than "entry level" sound. While the Alesis and Fostex monitors (again, IMHO) are fairly useless at any price. Of course, there are plenty of people who like the others. That's the point. If there was only one "perfect" monitor, there would only be ONE monitor out there.

Massive Master said:
What you should do is steer clear of anyone that uses "Fostex" or "Alesis" in the same sentence as "Pro Monitors." :D

Seriously - We're talking about "entry level" monitoring here. Still, the Wharfies (IMHO) have a much better than "entry level" sound. While the Alesis and Fostex monitors (again, IMHO) are fairly useless at any price. Of course, there are plenty of people who like the others. That's the point. If there was only one "perfect" monitor, there would only be ONE monitor out there.

Thanks for your Point of view. I think I am gonna go the Wharfie's route as they are my first set of monitors' I am far from a 'PRO' and I will just try learn my monitors as best I can!!!

I still reckn Mr Massive, you are on the take from Mr Deepwater, your pretty PRO the Wharfies.... :cool:

I've been a wharfie fan for years... Although I'm certain that I'm responsible for several dozen pairs out there, I would hardly suggest them if I didn't think they were all that and a bag of chips (I wouldn't mind a little kickback from Wharfedale, though - Or at least a Christmas card). I do remember one guy who didn't like them... It was actually nice when deepwater started hanging around - I used to recommend them to so many people, but they were so hard to find - At least until the "Pro" series...

Personally, I think the biggest mistake they made was adding the word "pro" to the name. That always makes me think twice about anything. :D It would've been enough to just shield the original Diamond series, IMO.

I think they must be trying to make a Grab for some of the Market share that M-Audio has gobbled up with their cheeply made but nice sounding BX-5's and BX-8's (PRO-SEMI-PRO). There are so many people knockin' up good tunes at home these days, so the lines are blurred IMO... If they sound as nice as you say they do they may have a winner, the 3yr warranty is reasuring and a sign a company has faith in its product (I don't know if I would be buying if it was just 12mths like a Behringer).

So, I will post a bit of a review once I get mine up and running how they sound in my non-treated little room. Im gonna have to break them in a bit I have heard but Im keen.

Many thanks to people who took the time to post, its appreciated.

Peace,
J.

Massive Master said:
Personally, I think the biggest mistake they made was adding the word "pro" to the name. That always makes me think twice about anything. :D It would've been enough to just shield the original Diamond series, IMO.

I think every piece of behringer gear has "pro" or "utlra" or "2000" in it somewhere. They seem to get a lot of business, but certainly not from me.

Back