Alesis IO|26 or Presonus Firepod (both $400)

Alesis IO|26 or Presonus Firepod?

• Alesis IO|26

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Presonus Firepod

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

raximus

Hey guys, what do you think is better out of the two of these interfaces? Give your reasons as why to you think. They are both $400 US.

Also, if you have either these, let us know what you think of them.

Thanks

James

i own the io/26 and i had the same debate. i love the io/26, couldn't be happier. it has a lot more expansion possibilities then the presonus. i got a preamp with adat out so i am using 16 of the 26 channels available. i love it, but i cant recomend it over the presonus because i have not owned it before.

the only thing i wish the alesis had was adat outs with it and i wish it was rackmountable.

The firepod was $600 when I bought mine and it's still going strong. I can't comment on the alesis unit, but the firepod is an absolute bargain for $400

If you don't have a rack then the Alesis wins. It's very compact, looks good on your desk and works perfectly. Dunno how it compares sound-wise to the Firepod but I'm very happy with the one I use.

I really like my io26 too !
Best dang musical tool I've bought in a while.

It finally came down to the Firepod or the io26 for me.
I him hawed around, read a lot of different message boards, and researched both of them as best as I could.

Though I like the idea of being able to put the Firepod in my rack, the features per capita made the Alesis look just a tad better to me.

I've never used the Firepod so I can't compare it's sound or functionality to the Alesis.

Good Luck !

Had the same dilema wanted the alses cause it looked cooler went to the shop was about to buy it and saw some one returning one saying it was a POS. I bought the fire pod and have loved it.

Firepod for sure.

I've been looking at the io26 for awhile, but I'd probably go Presonus mainly due to the fact that I've heard ALOT of bad things on this forum about DICE II drivers.. so I'm wary of it, BUT I still like the features alot more that the FP10's..

-Paul

What a conundrum, a presonus with an extremely high failure rate vs an alesis who's drivers are written by someone who would like to see alesis go out of business.

If you dont need more than 10 I/O I'd go with the firepod, if you need more, I'd look at the motu 8pre

Also a happy firepod owner, but that IO|26 looks pretty nice! Can anyone compare the pre's and conversion? I'm sure they're both garbage in comparison to the big picture, but I'd also imagine one sounds better than the other.

used both (though never at the same time)

half dozen one six of the other

Use IO26 quite frequently for field/live recording only occasionally (very seldom) in studio would have preferred rack mount but found/find overall feature set of IO26 to be more useful then firepod (subjective opinion)

gentlemen returning IO26 as POS either acquired a defective/warrenty item (certainly possible) or via magical thinking anticipated that gear would do something it could not do, with expectations lowered the next bit of gear is of course 'perfect' . . . generally speaking mean failure rate of firepod seems to be slightly higher then Alesis, which does not make firepod POS

as I said have used both, would have no problem buying firepod, but, for me IO26 had the better feature set for the price (for me) . . . had a fairly extensive installed base of gear using ADAT lightpipe and and the physical connections let me reduce my 'small' rig by two pieces of gear . . . which slightly balanced it not being rackable, and it fits nicely in the rolling flight case I used for the laptop anyway

I'm pretty sure I'm not target demographic for this item but for the price it fits the way I work (admittedly not exactly in the way it was intended . . . on the smallest of shows I don't even use the onboard mic pres)

The Alesis uses a DICE II chipset. In general, they either work with your machine or they don't.... The problem is how many machines they don't work with....

yeah, but Presonus uses TC chipsets as well (hlf one six another!)

you buy the computer that works with software/hardware you need, theoretically the computer should be general tool

without due diligence (not including chatting on these forums as such) all computer hardware decisions are based on magical thinking

(Oh, and with regard to, certainly, majority of sftwr hrdwr vendors: 'Pox on all their houses!', which includes computer manufacturers and OS purveyors, that cleared up I have used both A/D's in a variety of off the self laptops with minimum acceptable performance.)

yeah, but Presonus uses TC chipsets as well (hlf one six another!)

Not on the FIREPOD, though, which is what the original question was about. That's a BeBoB device. Any time somebody suggests the FireStudio or FireStudio Project, we all jump up and down and scream "You don't want to do that" at the top of our lungs.

Not on the FIREPOD, though, which is what the original question was about. That's a BeBoB device. Any time somebody suggests the FireStudio or FireStudio Project, we all jump up and down and scream "You don't want to do that" at the top of our lungs.

Haha, yeah. Did they switch the FP-10 to using DICE II or is it just all the FireStudio products?

Back