ALesis HR 16

Kevin Blight

Does anybody know of any way to upgrade my Alesis? I'm wondering if there is a replacement chipset or any way to get other sounds onboard. I don't want to go the high tech route and use it to trigger samples etc.

Also, as it only has 4 outputs what have other people found the best configuration to use? I usually put bass drum and snare out of output 2 (panned >3 and <3 for separation) put the toms and percussion out through 1 in a stereo spread and stick the hi-hats through with the snare as a little reverb doesn't hurt and as long as the balance is OK that seems to work pretty well.

If push comes to shove I would consider replacing it, so any advice concerning a good replacement that is as easy to use would be welcome. Price range of say £200

Kev

Whatever you do don't upgrade to the SR16 it sucks worse than the older one you have.

Do you like the patterns you get from the HR16? If so consider using a newer multi output synth off the MIDI out of the HR16.

I haven't really looked at any other drum machines, but I was told the SR 16 was supposed to be an improvement. I've already spent an arm and a leg recently, so I don't want to spend too much more at the moment. The HR16 is a piece of cake to program, and it sounds OK, if a bit noisy. I'm just a bit bored by the sounds because I've had it for about 8 years. It was out of date when I got it, so I'm sure things have moved on a lot since then. Beats getting a drummer....go on...let's have a few drum machine vs drummer jokes.

What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine? The drum machine turns up on time, keeps a steady rhythm, never complains or wants a drink after the gig...
...And you only have to punch the instructions into it once..!!

I love drummers really..!!

sounds like you just need some new drum sounds. Consider getting a good sampler for real sounds that will never get old...updated not old. You can run teh sampler off the HR16 and keep all your favorite patterns.

There is no way to upgrade an HR16.

I rarely use mine any more (other than live with a Drum Kat - to add percussion to my accoustice kit), but I use the exact same out-put configuration you mentioned.

As far as a better machine in the L200 range- it's been so long since I looked at drum machines (vs. modules/software) I would have to differ to other opinions.

I still think the HR16 has some decent sounds.

But it's my friend... Like an old pair of trainers (sneakers) that you can't bear to toss out. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and cough out for something else then. Are there any machines with more outputs? I guess I'm looking at 24 bit machines these days.

Do you want a "machine" or a module.

The normal use of the word machine refers to a "tabletop device" with pads on it (for playing with fingers - like the HR-16) vs. a module which is triggered via pads or via a MIDI controller.

The Alesis DM Pro has 6 outs (if memory serves) - but as a module you need a controller. The Roland TD-10 has 8 outs, but again you need a controller.

Roland make a 6 pad device (TD20???) that has several built in sounds (but very limited control of those sounds) - however it is a decent MIDI controller. Hart make a 6 pad unit (don't remeber the numner) with no sounds - but with MIDI out as a controller.

However, 200 lb.s won't get you much.

How about a drum machine that you can download .wav files into?
I probably have to look at several options here...I have a PC and I have an AW16G that I got very recently. Maybe I can use the PC to program drum tracks using a software package and record them on the AW16 using the I/O port. Cheaper than buying a drum machine - sounds would be easily changeable or upgradable, could be a good option.

I don't use a pc to record with...call me old fashioned (I am!!) but I feel a bit squeamish about using a PC to make music. I only use a drum machine because it's more convenient. I'd much prefer to record live drums but it's not going to happen soon.

As for pads that you hit, I'm so un-coordinated...6 or 4 strings and I'm fine. Sticks...well...lets just say my dog is better with them than me...

I'm not aware of any drum machines you can enter .wav into. Maybe someone else has thoughts??? If you are looking for the ability to upgrade sounds and input files you may want to look into any number of software applications. Fruity Loops seems to be a favorite with many on this site (a search will likely get you many hits).

Other than useing a PC for a recording/sequence media I don't follow software application as much as many of the people on this site - so I must defer to others who will I'm sure have better information than I can provide.

SR-16

Okay, I'm just another sap drum machine newbie that was roped into the alesis-sr16 through price and a snappy sales pitch.
But so far, I'm getting pretty good results for my purposes, using it as accompaniment for a small one/two piece combo.
I like the no-nonsense programming capability and the a-b-fill pedal capability. Great for real time gigging.

Here's the question though, for some guru out there. How can I get a nice snare brush sound into the thing ? Most of my stuff is swing, jazz oriented, and the ride symbal is a little too abrasive a sound sometimes.

I'm also a little confused about the drum sets. I could see them causing me some grief on stage.

Thanks.

Help with the Alesis HR-16

Can someone tell me how to use this machine , how do I get it to accompany my music?

This might help

At one time, the HR16B came with a chip you could install in the HR 16 and have them work together- 8 total outputs, layering sounds, etc. You'll need an MMT-8 for sequencing if you are not using new software and MIDI.

As for the volume issue, sometimes the input settings can be adjusted on the mixer, adn you can check individual outputs settings for each trigger.

I have the hatrick- 16, 16B and SR16. Yes the sounds are very good, and I have recorded songs with the 16B that nearly got us over the top at one time. Yes, it is possible to get good sounds and recording, and I have debated the 'learning' curve issue for longer than it would have taken me to learn the new stuff.

My Rx is scrap the old stuff- at this point you might as well buy a Linn9000 or TR808. Every time I wanted to do a flam on the old stuff, I had to turn off the quantizer and scroll 97 steps in to get one. Loops are easier, the editing to get it to sound real was so time consuming compared to the new stuff and the digital editing capabilities at this time are so far ahead of when that SR16 came out, it makes the Alesis machines sound and worth about as much as a Spandau Ballet record.

So there- the true me has arrived- sue me :)

alesis hr-16b won't power on

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a hr-16b that won't power on
with the mmt-8 sequencer power adapter. Is the power adapter
different for the mmt-8 than for the hr-16b? If it is the same, does
anyone know how I can fix this unit? It will not power on with the
mmt-8 power adapter but the mmt-8 will power on with the same
adapter.

Thanks
JW

I know this is a little late input for your original question, but I too was very fond of my original drum machine (a Boss DR-5) ...like an old pair of slippers. I know how to use it, write patterns, link together for songs, etc. I even hooked it up to an old Alesis Data Disk to save all my patterns and songs on floppies. I would write the song on the DR-5 and then stripe one track of my Tascam 38 analog 8 track with a JL Cooper box, and then the tape woulk kick off the DR-5 in MIDI mode. But...I was tired of the old drum sounds and the limitations of the 2 stereo ouputs. I wanted multiple outputs to my 24 channel board so I could EQ and play with individual drum sounds. So, I went out and bought a used Roland TD-10. The drum sounds are awesome and can be customized, and it has 8 outputs! I just connect the DR-5 to the TD-10 via MIDI cable and the DR-5 triggers the TD-10! I just got it last week so I haven't played with it much, but so far, I'm blown away!
So, there are other options to getting new sounds, but still using your old box.

Back