Alesis HD24 outputs

qbert1

Hello,

I will be renting an Alesis HD24 in the near future to be a second/backup source on a remote recording gig. Will the outputs of the HD24 send signal to my 002r while it's recording?

Here's the plan

Board channel direct outs --> analog inputs HD24 / analog outputs HD24 -->002r

is there any reason this won't work? I won't have much time with the rental unit before hand to test and see, so i'd like to know ahead of time if any problems might plague me.

I'd go the other route (002r --> HD24) but if Protools crashes or hickups, it looks like it would halt the signal.

Thanks in advance.

besides doing a lot of unnecessary conversion, sure that will work.

check out the hd24 yahoo group...amazing resource.

Yeah, that will work, but I advise using the digital outs of the HD24 to the 002r. The analouge and digital outputs of the HD24 will output the same thing, and by taking the analouge outs you're adding an extra DA and an extra AD conversion into the mix, which isn't really all that helpful

If you can, see if you can get an XR/EC-1 model of the HD24. The converters are a lot better.

I was planning on doing a converter shootout in the near future between the HD24XR, Onyx 800r and RME ADI-AE (since all three anre conveniently placed in my rack).

If you really want, I can whip one up in the next few hours, although you'll have to put up with my shitty, awake-for-30-hours-and-counting voice...

If it was me, I'd split the signal and send each unit it's own feed, so neither machine depends on the other. Simple Y cable splitters should do the trick.

It'll work. But be aware of your boards direct outs. Are they pre-fader or post? are they pre-eq or post? Pre-insert or post? That could make a difference.

If I had the time, I'd definitely make the Y cables. Thanks though.

I'm all set with the board. Pre fader, pre EQ, no inserts will be used.

Thanks again, I'm glad to learn this should work.

boingoman said:
If it was me, I'd split the signal and send each unit it's own feed, so neither machine depends on the other. Simple Y cable splitters should do the trick.

does this work? i don't think it does "in theory." i'm not "calling you out" boingoman, i'm just seeing if anyone/you know as i have an hd24 and that y cord thing interests me.

if it does i'll try it for some mults! i was under the impression you need a mult box/chain of some sort to deal with impedience issues.

too many quotes in my post...i feel like the guy who lives down by the river...

Mike

Yes, a y-spilt will work.

I was going to write more but a case of beer and a fear of being quoted stand in my way...

The only time you'rve really got ot worry is when you're running phantom power, and to make sure that you only run it from one source (eg: if running a live show with a monitor/FOH deck, you only run phantom fro mone of those decks).

Since the HD24(XR) does'nt have phantom, then there's no cahnge of that, innit?

A y-split patchbay is actaully helpful if you're going to do soemthing like a live rack- so long as you've got preamps (i have 3x Onyx 800rs in my rack with the HD24XR)

WOOT!

bigtoe said:
does this work? i don't think it does "in theory." i'm not "calling you out" boingoman, i'm just seeing if anyone/you know as i have an hd24 and that y cord thing interests me.

if it does i'll try it for some mults! i was under the impression you need a mult box/chain of some sort to deal with impedience issues.

too many quotes in my post...i feel like the guy who lives down by the river...

Mike

"Heh" :p

Pretty much any line output can drive at least a couple of inputs before any impedance issues pop up. I would imagine that the max distance the line could run would be cut, sinced the impedance ratio is dropped, but I have for instance split an aux send at the far end of a 100' snake for in-ear monitors and never heard a complaint. I would guess your recording split is shorter than that. And unlike an amplifier or headphone output, where you can actually cause damage, the worst thing that would happen is the sound quality would degrade. So you just have to use your ears.

cpl- "beer fear" LOL.

thank you guys! i'll make a couple for my multing kick and snare to ye old comps...sounds rad and i could go straight into the comps that way without eating a track...

much appreciated,

Mike

Pretty confusing thread. I can't tell whether you guys are talking about splitting the mic signals or about splitting the line level signals from a set of mic pres or mixer. I suspect that some are talking about one and some the other, so that no actual communication is taking place! :) I could be wrong, though.

Boingoman seems to be talking about line level outputs. Cpl_crud is talking about phantom power, which would only apply to mic level signals. Like I said, pretty confusing.

Gilliland said:
Boingoman seems to be talking about line level outputs. Cpl_crud is talking about phantom power, which would only apply to mic level signals. Like I said, pretty confusing.

LOL. Yeah, I was talking about splitting a line-level direct out from a pre or mixer. Passive mic splitting into two mixers or pres is usually no problem either, though.

Um, yeah, sorry.
That's what happens when you intorduce ethanol to a brain- it starts brining up irrelevant shite (gomen)

I guess I was thinking about out split racks... well, that's my excuse anyway.

Long story short, Y-splits are a-ok in everyone's books.

Although if you can afford an isosplit, then that's even better, eg:
http://www.coda-audio.com.au/sales/manufacture.htm (under Isolated splitter)

Those things are awesome fore recording live gigs, and when I've got hte budgest I will always spec one...

Back