Alesis HD24 or Fostex D2424LV?

Reg3n

Hi guys,

wondering whats your take regarding the above. I need a 24 track simultaneous for live recording and planning to transfer it to my computer at the end of the day for DAW mixdown. Some important criterias would be the remote functions and data transfer speed to the laptop. I do not need many built in editing features since im going to be using a DAW. Basically just need a solid machine for live recording to transfer to com. :)

Depends on how you're going into the machine.

Analog input?
An HD24XR is king. Nothing else can touch it for converters, IMO. I'd *probably* pick the Fostex over a stock HD24 though. I've never heard one but I've heard good things about their converters in this machine. The stock HD24 sounds fine though.

Digital Input?
Any of the machines are fine via lightpipe, since they're basically giant bit-buckets. I'm partial to the HD24's out of familiarity and long time use, but the Fostex with the remote facplate thing always seemed really cool.

I will second the motion of transfer using Marc Brevoort's tools (they are for the HD24 only - I do not know how the Fostex transfers files to the DAW).

I can't tell you about the Fostex, but I've used the ALesis for about 3 years and have gotten some unbelievably good recordings for live shows. My HD24 had proved to be very very reliable and consistant. I've not had any problems with it at all.

Plan on spending extra for the firewire connection tho. The FTP methods is very slow. Firewire transfers a 4 minute song with 24 tracks in about 90 seconds. I mix on my PC with N Tracks. IM me if you'd like a few examples (or check a thread in the mp3 clinic called 'Beatles Covers' - its probably a couple months old by now.)

..Plan on spending extra for the firewire connection tho. The FTP methods is very slow. Firewire transfers a 4 minute song with 24 tracks in about 90 seconds. I mix on my PC with N Tracks. IM me if you'd like a few examples (or check a thread in the mp3 clinic called 'Beatles Covers' - its probably a couple months old by now.)

WTF! There's a firewire drive dock!
HR BBS come through again. Thank you sir. :)

WTF! There's a firewire drive dock!
HR BBS come through again. Thank you sir. :)

Yes, and it's the only way to fly.

$125-$200 at various places, new or used. Too bad they didn't put the damn connector right on the machine though. Lord knows there's enough room in there to do it...

Hi guys,

wondering whats your take regarding the above. I need a 24 track simultaneous for live recording and planning to transfer it to my computer at the end of the day for DAW mixdown. Some important criterias would be the remote functions and data transfer speed to the laptop. I do not need many built in editing features since im going to be using a DAW. Basically just need a solid machine for live recording to transfer to com. :)

2 bitches about the HD24:

1. The BRC implementation is very kludgy and must be turned off for certain functions to work properly. A non-issie if you don't need the BRC.
2. Alesis is now owned by Numark which has very poor product support - i.e. tech support staffers that don't know the product & no parts availability save buying major assemblies. If you need a single ic, forget it.

Both units in their stock format sound just fine. Over the years I have owned both and ended up settling on the Mackie SDR for remote stuff. All three of the units have pretty decent sounding converters. Much better in my opinion then most of your low to mid range soundcards. The Fostex does have a cool faceplate that is rmovable, but if you are just hitting record once and then stop at the end and not doing a lot of shuttling or anything then that feature is probably a non factor. Neither unit is very proficient at transfering files to a DAW though unless you buy the Fireport for the Alesis which really speeds things up. If you are recording lots of tracks though of a live set, be prepared for some pretty lengthy transfer times. One thing I do like about the Alesis over the Fostex is that track I/O assignments are made in pars whereas if I remember right, the Fostex only assigns in sections of 8 channels. For the use intended in this specific thread, that sounds like a bit of a non-factor anyhow though.

My biggest copmplaint with the Alesis is the proprietary file system it uses. You have to preassign each new song to a pre decided amount of tracks because it starts reserving disk space for each track. What this means is that if you tell it you are doing a 24 track song and only end up using 16 tracks then it still allocates 24 tracks worth of space which is unavailable to any other song on the mounted drive. This can be a really good thing if you are operating on a smaller size disk, but with disk space as cheap as it is, I find this to be a little overkill. Granted however at the same time, if disk space is that cheap, you should have plenty of it and at the time the HD24 came out, 80 gig drives were considered pretty darned large and were much more expensive then they are now.

One of the things that I really like about the Mackie is that it uses a standard file format for storing the files you record. I went with the Mackie SDR because stock it comes loaded with all the analog and digital I/O, but unlike the more expensive MDR and HDR it does not have its own gui for editing and patching a mouse and keyboard straight into it. My complaint with the Mackie is that it only comes with a USB 1 jack and not USB 2. This means that like the FTP built in protocal on the ALesis, that the transfer of files to a DAW is extremely slow. What I did however (for the very few times I actually recorded to the Mackie since I usually used it for JUST converters) was purchase an RH58 sized external hard drive bay for my computer tower. This allowed me to record stuff on the Mackie to the removable drive instead of the internal drive, and when I wanted to do a transfer I just popped the whole removable drive assembly form the Mackie into the DAW tower, boot up, and then you can just drag and drop folders between them.

On a side note, my Mackie is going up for sale with an RME hammerfall interface card for 52 channels of total I/O at the DAW, 48 at the converters.

HD24 and Fireport

Used the HD24 and a Fireport dock worked really well no issues.
then used Tracktion 2 for the mix down.

The HD24 Ethernet port sucks its only a 10 not a 10/100/1000

Would be nice if it was Giga Ethernet for FTP use.

I used the HD 24 Adat inputs from the Aux outs on the RME- Audio Octamic pres

And the Main Adat out on the pre went to the Fireface 800.

So if the DAW crashed I would still get the live recording on the HD24.

That is my 2 Watts for what its worth

Back