Alesis DM5

discordJF

I recently just bought the Alesis DM5 drum module. I bought it specifically to get that Pantera/Fear Factory type bass drum sound. Could someone that has this unit help me out with getting this sound from one of the bass drum sounds? Any help is appreciated.

If you want that Pantera/Fear Factory sound (both VERY good bands by the way ;) a good start is the "HardAtk" setting in the bass drum library and tune it down 1. This gives a good fast punchy bass drum sound thats deep but not boomy. One thing you have to keep in mind when trying to get the EXACT sound youre after is that you WONT be able to get it exactly for a few reasons:
1) when Raymond (from FF) is recording an album, triggered drum sounds are mixed with miced drum sounds to give an original and not entirely "fake" sound.
2) to my knowledge Vinnie (from Pantera)does not trigger his bass drums at anytime (while recording or playing live) and therefore you obviously will not be able to get the exact bass drum sound from a drum module.

The DM5 kicks ass... just play around with it and I promise you'll find a sound that you like A LOT. However, my suggestions will give a sound thats very similar to what you want.

hope that helps!!
-Ry

Back