Alesis airSynth Sound FX Generator...What IS It???

RyanEmerson

I've seen the specs, and I've read some reviews, but I still don't understand what it IS. Is it just a toy that makes a bunch of different sounds? Because then I don't undertsnad why it's so great.

How's it work?

RyanEmerson said:
I've seen the specs, and I've read some reviews, but I still don't understand what it IS.

Just like you wrote, it's a sound effects generator. The only difference between this & other things is that you control the parameters in real-time with your hands in the air, just above the unit.

Is it just a toy that makes a bunch of different sounds?

Yup. Just like a rompler is just a toy that makes a bunch of different sounds.

Because then I don't undertsnad why it's so great.

maybe it ain't for you, then. I think they're pretty damn cool.

How's it work?

Like a theremin. When your hand(s) enter the active area above the airFX, they act as modulators for whatever sound you've selected to play, and/or modulators for the sound source you're sending through the unit. Let's say you got a flange program selected, when you pass your hands through the sphere, you can control depth, rate, panning, volume, send or return amount, and so on by changing the position of your hands. More fun than turning a knob or programming changing parameters, and it can help transform a live performance into a freak-show of one if you're really playing around alot.

Hope that helps. maybe someone can better explain (or correct) me.

Check these links out...
http://thereminworld.com/learn.asp
http://theremin.info/

fd

Attachments

• theremin.jpg
    theremin.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 59
Flodolo's got it pretty much.

When I worked at GC, it was a big attraction as you just waved your hand over it and it shifted the thing in so many cool ways.

here's my list of practical applications for the thing:

1. Use at a party! Especially if foreign substances are present, this thing can make many of stoned person say, "whoa!"

2. Live performance. could be cool for an on stage weird band trying to confuse the audience. Definitely makes people ask, "how they did that?"

3. as a toy for kids.

that said, I would buy one for $50 and no more. :)

yeah i love wierd stuff, and i love the air synth. but it just doesnt serve a whole lot of purpose. its great for hours of fun, just not as an instrument.

the air fx however. that thing is just retartedly fun. run both at the same time, one hand for each..........

it just doesnt have much pitch wise, you can only go so far with it.

Back