Alctron DM03, any opinions on this SD condenser?

drum359

Hi, Does anyone have an opinion of the Alctron DM03 sd condenser mic? It's $35.00 new. It has no roll-off just a straight no bells or whistles mic. Thanks for any responses.

It's a very common Chinese chassis and capsule - and you'll be quite pleased with it. They're a bit bright and don't have ultra smooth bass - but they're really quite a good starter mic - REMEMBER - it does need 48V phantom power to operate. I assume you have this available?

It's Cardiod only - it's not great at any frequency - and flubs around on the bass frequencies - Inexpensive so if that's what you afford....

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting much from it at that price. Might make a good hihat mic for live performance.

Drum - I deleted a couple of posts where there was no new content? No problem but something went wrong!

The thing with all the small electret mics is that they can sound a little harsh - but only on some sources. They're generally not nice on vocals, but can sound really crisp on some (not all) acoustic guitars. overheads on drum kits sizzle nicely, but good cymbals seem to work, but the cheaper, more metalic ones sound a bit thin and kind of artificial.

I've got lots of different cheap ones and they all have this characteristic. With a good dynamic like a real SM57, you can stick them on almost anything and they do a good job, but condensers can be a bit selective. However - at the price, why not buy one from somewhere who do returns with no hassle. You'll know if you like them straight away, and if you don't, send it back.

Back