alanhyatt, questions about B1 & B3

MrGrooves

Hey Alan, I hope you're fine. I have a question about the B series. I want to buy a pair of them to do stereo micing for various instruments as well as using them as OH's. Here's my question. I'm mostly looking for cardiod mics, but I really would like to have the ability of doing some M-S micing. I was thinking about getting a B1 and a B3 instead of 2 B3's to save some bucks. For M-S this would be great, however, for spaced pairs, I was wondering if there could be problems due to frequency response or phase issues by using a B1 and a B3 with the cardioid pattern. I checked the specs (graphs) of the patterns and frequency response on both (cardiod on B3) and they seem pretty close to me.
What do you think? Is this a crazy idea..?

BTW. I really appreciate your presence on this forum, besides what others might think....I think you're a good fella, and your products offer pretty good value for the money. Do you have any distributors in Mexico?... Are you looking for some?
Thanks in advance!

I'm not Alan, but I can tell you that the Studio Projects B1 & B3 don't sound the same, and becaiuse the B1 & B3 sound different, IMO you'd be better off with a matched pair of B3's for the spaced pair and you can still MS and etc with the B3's.

My Studio Projects B3's get used more than my B1 or C1 and I think in the long run you'll be happier with two B3's.

I also agree w/ DOT. IMO, the B3 sounds like a cross between a B1 and a C1.

2 B3's....by far the best bang for the buck....MS....X/Y stereo pair...figure 8's for acoustics...room mics for drums....they're so warm and tasty....

Back