Alan Hyatt

crazydoc said:
Alan

Did your forum disappear off of recording.org, or am I just crazy?

Yes it has. Manufacturers pay RO a fee for their forum. The Sebatron forum recently stopped and then restarted. Apparently, PMI's RO forum lapsed and has not (yet) been renewed. Dunno if it will be back.

Recently, I was asked by RO to pay a specific amount of money to keep the forum going. I felt I brought enough traffic to the forum and to RO's site, not to mention the time I spent.

If RO needs money, then it should decide what it needs to do and how to get it, but not look to me to either pay for a forum, or to put up banner advertising.

So, down it went....

alanhyatt said:
If RO needs money, then it should decide what it needs to do and how to get it, but not look to me to either pay for a forum, or to put up banner advertising.

So, down it went....

I think they decided that everyone needs to pay :D

Last edited:
First littlebush alienated Tech Talk and closed it down - probably the heaviest traffic on the site. Now PMI's forum. I guess he's trying to close the site down.

Are you planning on opening up again somewhere else? Maybe on the PMI site?

Can you get your archived forum files from the site, or does littlebush feel he owns them?

As long as there is no advertising spam on this bbs I don't care... and if one must advertise on this bbs they should pay to do so... for example, like Blue Bear Sound does. And IMO you should delete this thread and use your PM button for those knid of questions... this is the mic forum.

Last edited:
RO is a complete joke. I have zero sympathy for the people running it. They censor "out-of-the-mainstream" thoughts in posts, they claim copyright ownership on other people's ideas, and now they're doing the "poor us, running this site, we need everyone's money now!" thing. It's like they're trying to be the next corporate monopoly / moral monster. I'm pretty sure it's going to turn out the opposite for them though. Their participation and readership is just going to go down and down, and I'm sure as hell not clicking on any ads on their site now.

DJL said:
Oh no... here we go again. Come-on guys, this is a microphone forum.

Sorry Officer DJL.... We will do as you say Mr. God sir, and not ask or answer any questions that you feel is not suited to your liking. None of us here want to offend you... You might send us all back to the dark ages :eek:

God has spoken folks...Lock this thread down :p

alanhyatt said:
Sorry Officer DJL.... We will do as you say Mr. God sir, and not ask or answer any questions that you feel is not suited to your liking. None of us here want to offend you... You might send us all back to the dark ages :eek:

God has spoken folks...Lock this thread down :p
Thanks and maybe you can also get your friend crazydoc to delete this thread... you two can always start another one like it somewhere else... like the "Cave". Thanks Again.

DJL said:
Thanks and maybe you can also get your friend crazydoc to delete this thread... you two can always start another one like it somewhere else... like the "Cave". Thanks Again.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

O.K. I'll come out of "hibernation" briefly to add my 2 cents.

Putting aside my friendship with Alan for the moment to speak more generically...

Whatever we think specifically of various microphone manufacturers,
their presence overall is one of a positive nature IMO.

So it's fine to seemingly bend the rules a bit in view of the contributions they make for us, for the food for thought they give us is enough at the very least.

Personally, recent events (the death of my wife on 7/27/04), have re-emphathized how petty these "discussions" can be.
This is not meant as a judgement of anyone specifically, rather an observation of what's REALLY important in life.

How about focusing on what knowledge can be shared vs. how are opinions differ?

Hope this helps,
Chris

You know, DJ, I was actually thinking of deleting the thread anyway, as I'd learned what I wanted to know, and I could see it was starting to deteriorate, until I read your last post.

Now, I think it would make more sense if you just deleted your posts. They don't have anything to do with what this thread is about. This is a mic forum, and Alan makes mics, and he had some interesting and useful information in his forum. I'm sure other members here frequented his forum and might find it useful to know what happened to it and what future plans might be.

This has nothing to do with spamming or advertising - just about microphone information. If that's not of interest to you, then just ignore it and move on.

Chess, so sorry to hear about your loss... there's nothing more I can say....

DJL, Alan contributes more here than strictly self promotion. This is a mic forum, Alan knows mics... let it be. I'm w/ Chess.... discussing if this a "valid" thread is petty. Hopefully w/ Alan off RO, he'll contribute more here.

chessparov said:
Personally, recent events (the death of my wife on 7/27/04), have re-emphathized how petty these "discussions" can be.

Holy shit.

My condolences chessparov.

Well crazydoc, I guess if everyone here rather talk about PMI not paying RO rather than about mics then lets talk about it. What did you learn?

chessparov... your in my prayers.

chessparov said:
Personally, recent events (the death of my wife on 7/27/04),...

That just sucks. Really tends to put things in perspective. My sympathies, and I hope you are coping OK.

Chess-our prayers are with you as well.

Makes the rest of this stuff seem pretty insignificant.

I'm not surprised to hear the circumstances of why PMI left RO. One cannot send a PM there, unless one is a paying member. Customer service is not one of the strong points of RO.

I've had my private run-in with the owner of the board, and found him to be the "it's my bat and ball" mentality. Fine. It's his board.

Chris, very sorry to hear about your missus. I was surprised at the bad news... thought you were younger. I've been married to mine for 25 good years now.

crazydoc said:
You know, DJ, I was actually thinking of deleting the thread anyway, as I'd learned what I wanted to know, and I could see it was starting to deteriorate, until I read your last post.

Now, I think it would make more sense if you just deleted your posts.
Use the squelch feature. It works very well for me.

Back