Akg

Jim Lad

I'm pretty well settled on the brand and will one day, own the C414.
In the meantime, I'm thinking C214 or solid tube.
Two entirely different animals, I'm sure.
Anyone got both?

You know san, I'm not sure why we're arguing. We're from the same place, Europe and Canada, think the same way. I'll hold out the olive branch san. Peace me ole China. I was just saying in the K note price point Neumann may be the way to go, I have AKG, great mics.

So, you come into a thread titled "AKG" to tell me to buy another brand, even though you have tried neither then you insult my English (I am a Scot) and to disguise that, you edit your post to say that you are way ahead of me.
You are a Troll.
Well congratulations, Troll.
There's an "Ignore" setting on your profile and I'm just about to click it.

U87 all the way to the top. I aint gonna own one, but if you're into the K priced mics, save and save and get the best.

U87?! The best?? i don't know in what little world you live, but a U87 is hardly "the best". One of, maybe, but it sure isn't the pinnacle. Not by any means.

Jim, if you're looking for an AKG and really want the brass ring (literally) save up and get one of the earlier 414 models. 414E I believe. It had the brass CK12 capsule, which is the same capsule as the C12 and Ela M 250/251. If you can get your hands on one of those you'll have a truly amazing mic.

The nylon capsules just don't have the same mojo.

Failing that you could get one with a nylon capsule and replace it with one of Tim Campbell's CT12 capsules. Expensive to do, but then you'd be at the same level. His capsules are amazing!

Last edited:
I'm watching E-Bay and trying to keep track but it's hard to know why some 414s are worth more than others.
That was some good information.
You don't think the 214 is a decent stopover?

I'm watching E-Bay and trying to keep track but it's hard to know why some 414s are worth more than others.
That was some good information.
You don't think the 214 is a decent stopover?

I think that would be a fine mic! Right along the lines of a multi-pattern 414. All the 414 series are good, depending on the source. It is still is based on the nylon capsule (not that it is a bad thing) which is a bit darker and flatter than a CK12 capsule would be. The Ck12 brass capsule, which has 55 parts in all, is the creme de la creme of AKG hardware. That's the one that has that Austrian "sparkle" and "breathy" (aka "air") sound that is lacking in the nylon capsules. Most of the 414 series (including the 214) have a bit of a darker sound. It can work well on most sources and has a good sound. It really is no match for a real CK12 capsule, however.

I would think a 214 would be superior to a C3000 series, which had surface mount components and required severe EQ'ing to get a reasonable sound.

I'm not happy with the C300 in the studio. It's a bit thin, brittle maybe. I wish I could describe it but it is an awesome live mic.
I'm selling off my C1000Ss and spoiling myself with this baby for vocals and a brand new AT M450 for instruments. (On stage).
So, given that there's just me and my tenor guitar and that I have never needed "Omni", I'm left wondering if maybe a 414 is just a little over the top.
But then, I've never bought myself a new car either. Never needed a "New" one.
You made no mention of the Solid Tube, Philgood!

This is the section that will explain the "magic" of the Ck12. Hard to duplicate and expensive to manufacture, but Tim Campbell has been able to recreate that same magic with his versions of the same design.

AKG's CK12 capsule

Tim's capsules really hit the mark!

Tim Campbell

His work is truly astounding, given the complexities of the CK12 design. He nails it! I have two mics with these capsules and they capture that same magic. Worth every single penny!!

I'm not happy with the C300 in the studio. It's a bit thin, brittle maybe. I wish I could describe it but it is an awesome live mic.
I'm selling off my C1000Ss and spoiling myself with this baby for vocals and a brand new AT M450 for instruments. (On stage).
So, given that there's just me and my tenor guitar and that I have never needed "Omni", I'm left wondering if maybe a 414 is just a little over the top.
But then, I've never bought myself a new car either. Never needed a "New" one.
You made no mention of the Solid Tube, Philgood!

The Solid Tube is a weak design. Transformerless and based on the same dull nylon capsule. Confounded by the foam in the grill (which is a good mod to remove, btw) and a generally dull mic.

The C4000 smokes it as far as sound and it doesn't even use the same capsule (it uses an electret capsule).

A seriously good mic and preamp will make all your recordings stand tall above everything else. Just get the right gear.

Edit: actually I just remembered the Solid Tube uses an electret capsule. Still kinda dull sounding, though.

Last edited:
Back