AKG Solid Tube/Behringer T-1

Jim Lad

A quick A/B on vocals.
I'll only be leaving this up for about a week or so then I'll swap it for one with just the AKG.
Verse 1 is the AKG then it alternates between that and the Behringer.
I think the difference is quite unambiguous but wouldn't fault either mic.
MixcraftLive: home

That's recorded from about 10" on both mics and that anomoly at the start of the third verse is on every track so the AKG gets to wear it.

At first i had a hard time distinguishing between the two, but then it became apparent! The AKG just sounded bigger, but perhaps its a bit skewed based on dynamics. On the T-1 there's a section where the vocal is as loud as sung into the AKG, where normally the vocal is sung at a different level. Perhaps why that's what the T-1 sounded thinner?

7th time through, there is no question that the AKG has a bigger sound. The T-1 just lacks bottom. Sounds thin.

Remarkable, eh?
At a distance of 10" or 11", the AKG sounds like I'm right on top of it.
And I agree, the Behringer sounds thinner and struggles a bit with the dynamics whereas the Solid Tube seems to compress a little.
I think I've found my mic but I wasn't disappointed in the Behringer, by any means. It beats any other condenser I've had.
I have some work to do, learning proper placement and settings for the AKG but I have to say "My search is over".

Though the T1 a bit closer might sound pretty much the same. 6 or 7 times through to hear a difference? What's the price difference?

New?
AKG Solid Tube is anywhere from $899 to $1099.
Was reviewed by Sound on Sound as "Best vocal microphone under GBP1000 and better than many that cost more.
Used? About $450 to $550

New Behringer T-1?
Anywhere from $150 to $230.
Used? Can't give it away.

One thing that I've found though with A/B tests involving the Solid Tube is that each time, the AKG comes out on top and the reviewer finds fault in the other mic that he/she hadn't noticed before.
Most common complaint, other mic sounds thin or nasal in comparison.

Or the tester subconsciously adjusts parameters of the test to end with that result. This is especially true when singing. Using test tones in a blind comparison would be more objective.

Or the tester subconsciously adjusts parameters of the test to end with that result. This is especially true when singing. Using test tones in a blind comparison would be more objective
No.
I can assure you, the tester didn't do that.
In fact; It would have pleased me no end if the Behringer had come out on top because I have to sell the loser and I'd turn a profit with the AKG.

The AKG definately sounds better, warmer and more full. I removed the inner screen from mine but havn't had a chance to test it yet - hopefully at the weekend - if I get anything useful Ill post - I don't have any of the auld scots tunes like you tho Jim - well done!

No.
I can assure you, the tester didn't do that.
In fact; It would have pleased me no end if the Behringer had come out on top because I have to sell the loser and I'd turn a profit with the AKG.

Well you wouldn't know, as I said it's subconscious. Even hard science research is far more subjective than objective.

As someone with 3 science degrees from Queen's University I do understand how to conduct an experiment, and also understand how it isn't done.

But I'm stupid apparently, tell me your qualifications.

Yeah: But I don't have that much invested in the results of a microphone shootout that I'd fake the results.
I'm just checking out my mics, not inventing global warming.
Oh, you just love to wind me up.

Shouldatookaleftatalbakoiky.

Yeah: But I don't have that much invested in the results of a microphone shootout that I'd fake the results.
I'm just checking out my mics, not inventing global warming.
Oh, you just love to wind me up.

Shouldatookaleftatalbakoiky.

WATCH OUT JIM! Your microphone is tipping over catch it!

adanac

I don't have a subconscious.
I had it taken out.

Great comeback, I generally say I traded mine for a bottle of whiskey, pisses off the natives no end, well worth it. Actually interjecting alcohol into anything here is well worth the effort just for effect. :D

Back