AKG Perception 400?

bubbleboy

I'm wondering what the general perception of the AKG Perception series is, specifically the 400 model that goes for about $300.

It seems to be a really good deal, but I have always hated the c series, like a lot of people, and I know the perceptions are new.

I'm tryin to decide whether to go with the Perception, an AT 4040, or a cheap ass ribbon.

I cut some vocals with a Perception not long ago, and I thought they turned out perfectly acceptable.

They're kind of bright, so if you don't get in to that sorta' thing ... or if sibilance drives you nuts, then you might look elsewhere.

hmm....thanks for the info - i was really set on the perception 400 because it has a few things i really want (ability to switch between omni, cardioid, 8), rolloffs, etc. but if it's sibilant, that effectively nixes it for me. i'd be using an RNP with it to record guy's vocals, occasionally quiet vox...kind of looking for that smoothness people say ribbons lend to a sound..

well, back to figuring out how i'll burn $300 most intelligently.

Well, if you're not in to sibilance, and you want the mulit-pattern thing, then maybe you could find a used Audio Technica 4050 on ebay somewhere. That would seem to fit your criteria a lot better.

Back