AKG Perception 200

tanders12

Howdy.

The local music store has a used AKG Perception 200 that he'll give me with a cable and shock mount for $189. It looks a little beat up. The top mesh is dented as if it's been dropped at least once, but he says that they tested it and they will warranty for 6 months.

This is the first mic I've ever purchased for my first studio. Starting out I'm going to be recording violin, vocals, and acoustic guitar. I was planning on getting a small diaphragm condenser but this one is large.

What do you guys think?

Don't do it! It's a rip off!
You can get a new one for $179. at Zzounds.com and they are a bit on the high side.
Shop around on the net and I bet you'll find it for under $140. new, but this is a discontinued model. I think the new model goes by the name of 220.

:cool:

Yeah I noticed the 220 was cheaper, but the 200 is $400 on amazon. Are you sure the 220 is an upgrade?

Yup - the amazon listing may be old.
And like I stated before the 200 is no longer in production and the 220 has taken it's place.
Do a lot of shopping around before you purchase any thing and you can always ask here again if what you find is or isn't a good deal.

:cool:

I wouldn't buy any microphone with a dent in the grill.
Seriously.
I bought a Perception 200 on E-Bay a couple of weeks ago for $65 plus postage. I then spent $14 on a spider mount for it.
It sounds a little warmer than my Perception 100 and not so high in the mid range. Has a 10db PAD and a bass roll off.
The 220 has a 20db PAD. I think that's the only difference.

I had a AKG 400 tip over on me and land on it's face once. Had to sell it for parts. Dent in the grille - big red flag. Get a Studio Projects C1. It has become one of my favorite vocal mics in the cabinet.

The old P100 has a 1 inch diaphragm, while the newer P120 has a smaller 2/3 inch diaphragm.
I don't know the difference between the P200 and P220.

Back