AKG Perception 120

Houda

One of my local music stores recommended the AKG Perception 120 for vocals.. thoughts? they were selling for about $170 AUS

It's a Chinese mic, better made than most. I have no way of telling whether that's a good price in Oz. In general, it's a mic which is worth what they charge for it. I much prefer AKG C2000B.

in the UK they're about £70 but, as we've said before, the exchange rate/import taxes etc seems to make a huge difference so $170 AUD may be a good price. tbh, although i've never used the perception 120 but i've not heard good thing about it and most of the threads i have read/reply to on here asking about "upgrading to a new mic" are normally from either the Perception 120 or Blue USB mic's. i'd say try it and if you're happy with it go for it. better yet, see if they have a good returns policy so that you can properly try it at home for a couple of weeks and see how it works for you. if you like it, keep it, if not take it back and try something else :)

Ha i doubt they would do that, its a tiny music store. I understand why things cost more here, the aus dollar is about 1.5 to a pound hence why plus its aus lol

ah, fair do's. tbh that's one of the only benefits of big chain companies; they normally have a good trial and returns policy (although some UK ones have stopped returns on mic's for health and safety reasons!?!)

Do they stock any of the MXL mic's? Also, seeing as they're an aussie company, what about Rode mics?

When i said small i really should have said tiny... it was the only mic they had lol

Lol, ahh i know those kinda shops far too well! we have three music stores in my town; one only sells SM57's and SM58's, one only sells PG58's, and one has a smallish collection but only on their website; in the store there's only about 5 mics!

have you had a look around the net for any clips/samples of the Perception 120?

I dont think il get it, for that price and just a little more i can get a sE X1 so why even bother?

Back