AKG K240M's or AKG K240DF's?

triple cubic

I'm looking for a good pair of studio monitor headphones... I've narrowed down my choices to the AKG K240M's and the AKG K240DF's. What do you guys suggest?

I don't really want anything that needs a separate amp to be powered or something, b/c I'm trying to keep the costs down. I just need something to cover my ears so that when I record vocals, the headphones don't pick up any of the instrumental in the background.

Thanks in advance!

- Akwah

I could be wrong but I think both of the headphones you mentioned are open or semi-open. If you don't want to hear external noises or the microphone picking up the headphone mix you might want to check out a closed design instead.

Does anyone know if either of these headphones require their own amp?

Because I am recording off my Delta 1010-LT and playing back on my SB Audigy... I am looking for a good pair of headphones that I can just plug right into the Audigy soundcard and use for monitoring...

Thanks.

triple cubic said:
I'm looking for a good pair of studio monitor headphones... I've narrowed down my choices to the AKG K240M's and the AKG K240DF's. What do you guys suggest?

I don't really want anything that needs a separate amp to be powered or something, b/c I'm trying to keep the costs down. I just need something to cover my ears so that when I record vocals, the headphones don't pick up any of the instrumental in the background.

Thanks in advance!

- Akwah
both are semi-open back...these are great headphones but not for tracking. you need something like a Sony 7906.

both need a headphone amp of some kind...

Wow, those Sony 7509's are $200... That's quite a bit for headphones. Does anyone know any other good brands/models of headphones with closed ear design that I could pick up for a little less?

Thanks.

- Akwah

YO Triple Ice Cubes:

You might look into a pair of Beyer 250's. Nice cans. Good quality sound. A bit tight fitting but not killing.

I have two sets of these cans; I have other cans. I have Sony cans. I have AKG cans. I have ash cans; I have beer cans.

But, I prefer my Beyer 250 cans when working in my studio.

Cost? About 130 USD @ Full Compass.

Call and ask for Heather Paske; she will treat you right.

Mention my name, Ben. [No, I don't work there.]

The Beyer Cans are closed and work quite well in the studio.

CAN you ask for anything more?

Green Hornet

:D :D :p :p :p

Thanks, Hornet...

How come people always talk about how good the AKG's and Sony's are if you can't record with them? Are they only for monitoring?

Also, what/where do I call to get the Beyer headphones for $130? If I use the Beyers for recording, can I also use them for mixing? Will I also be needing an additional headphone amplifier? Damn, so expensive... Thanks, man. Appreciate it! :)

- Ak

triple cubic said:
Wow, those Sony 7509's are $200... That's quite a bit for headphones. Does anyone know any other good brands/models of headphones with closed ear design that I could pick up for a little less?

Thanks.

- Akwah
oops...wrong number

i meant Sony MDR-7506

sorry...

Yo Triangular Cubes:

Everyone talks about everything and that's what makes this such a good site; you have to read and evaluate and test and buy what fits best and sounds best to your ears.

AKG makes good cans. Sony makes good cans. But, you DON'T USE CANS FOR MIXING -- you run your session through the MONITORS and make adjustments, eq, reverb, dynamics, etc.

Then, you record on whatever.

The Beyer 250's are good cans; they are closed; they are well constructed. Read my post above again and call Heather at Full Compass.

You CAN do it.
Green Hornet

Back