AKG K240 problem

Dread28CW

About a year ago, the left side speaker of my headphones stopped working. I had my father-in-law, who is into DIY & has a soldering iron, fix them. Over the course of the year, I had the same problem a few more times & my father-in-law fixed them each time with no problems. Unfortunately, the last time he did the repair something weird happened because now the balance is screwed up & the sound is much louder on the right side. My pc has separate sliders for both right & left channels numbered from 0-100 & I'm able to achieve the right level by lowering the level of the left speaker balance control to 50 which is strange since it is the left side that has the lower volume...common sense would tell you that the volume of the left speaker would just get even lower, but the balance of the two speakers remain the same even if I slide the left slider to 0! I'm thinking that he somehow wired the right side to go through both left & right speakers. Is this fixable?

Last edited:
Check those pan settings further to see what's going on for sure.
Sounds like they're reverse wired which confuses matters. :p
If you have independent control over left and right (even if they are reversed), then he hasn't joined to feeds, or fed one signal into both speakers.

You say you can achieve balance by adjusting the left slider, but you also say the balance remains the same even with the left slider at zero?
Can you clarify? Maybe I didn't read it right.

what he needs to do is clean the solder off, clean all of the flux out then resolder with leaded solder (or at least silver bering). It sounds like to me he switched to no lead and the two different solders will cause crystalized solder joints. or he might have accidentally created a resistive path with flux.
but I had a pair of k270's that had something simular going on and it was a short in the cord. maybe he damaged it on the side he was working on. He can check it with an ohm meter once he lifted the wires.

Back