AKG D790 Good Enough?

Aidyn

I just got a Lexicon Omega recording studio for Christmas and there was a special offer where you get a AKG D790 mic with it if you send the UPC.

My question is if this mic is good enough for recording vocals? I have about $120 to spend on a mic stand and IF I need to get another mic I could spend some on that but I don't think I could get a better mic for under $100 anyways.

Also can anyone suggest a mic cable? I'm going out this weekend to buy the stuff I need for the mic.

Aidyn

I have the D890 which I suspect isn't much different form the 790. I use it mainly for vocals and have done most of my band's recordings with it. We have gotten some surprisingly decent results but it takes ALOT of work. The mic isn't made for recording at all and getting a consistent level takes alot of body english on the part of the vocalist.

On the plus side I think it sounds better than the SM58 hands down.

Our D890 is about to be replaced by a Sennheiser MD421mkII which is absolutely fantastic for what we are doing. The MD421 is just beautiful on my vocalist and has tons of signal compared to the old AKG.

Hmmm, ok. Thanks for the information.

Is there any mic that you would recommend for under $100 or should I just stick with what I have?

Thanks again for the help.

Hmmm, ok. Thanks for the information.

Is there any mic that you would recommend for under $100 or should I just stick with what I have?

Thanks again for the help.

no problem.

You can try it out and see for yourself. For my circumstances at the time I could have done much worse than the AKG. Of course back then I didn't have such a great place to learn about mics like I do now with the folks on this forum. I have seen enough good mention of the Marshall V69G that I'm thinking of getting one myself:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARSHALL-MXL-V67G-MICROPHONE-SHOCK-MOUNT-MIC-CABLE_W0QQitemZ120201326172QQihZ002QQcategoryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Considering you get a complete package for $100 it's not a bad deal. I've also seen the AT3035 on Ebay in this price range though the reviews for this are a little mixed.

I haven't experienced either of the two condensers I mentioned so maybe a few people familiar with them could chime in and help us both out. :D

I have that same stand. Shockmounts will fit it fine. I'm not sure about that particular MXL mic. It's not one of the models I've researched.

Is it a decent stand?

Hopefully someone else will check out this thread that has experience with the MXL 990.

Is it a decent stand?

Hopefully someone else will check out this thread that has experience with the MXL 990.

While On Stage Stands makes some decent mic stands for serious use (e.g. the giant tripod stands with 3" diameter legs), these aren't they....

Their standard mic stands are really light duty. You might be able to get away with using such a mic on one of them if you tilt the boom so that it is basically vertical, but you won't be able to use it as a boom stand unless you either buy a 25 pound barbell weight and drop it on there or buy a heavier-duty stand with a wider leg spread and more mass.

I would strongly recommend spending the extra money for a Tama mic stand. You'll thank me later when you aren't constantly swearing at it for falling over and dumping your hundred dollar mic on the floor.

Here's a photo of a very similar stand sagging under the weight of a pencil condenser. I have trouble keeping them up for drum overheads, and those mics weigh about a tenth what the mic you're looking at weighs. :D

IMG_5017.JPG

The curve in the stand is not an optical illusion, sadly....

I have a D790 and use it live on my band's pianist. It's hypercardioid, so as a vocal mic, you'd really have to be on top of it to catch everything, but then you increase the proximity effect, where the sound gets very bassy. I used to use it with my four track, and got decent enough results.

However....If it's free with a UPC, I'd say heck yes, get it!

Good luck. Oh, and I don't really hear the greatest things about the MXL you posted....

OWz

Here's a photo of a very similar stand sagging under the weight of a pencil condenser. I have trouble keeping them up for drum overheads, and those mics weigh about a tenth what the mic you're looking at weighs

Thanks for the information. I don't know if I'll ever have the stand set up like yours so I might be ok with it.

However....If it's free with a UPC, I'd say heck yes, get it!

Yeah, I already sent in the stuff to get it but it will take 6-8 weeks to get here and I was thinking that if I could find another mic for under $100 I would get it and use whichever one I liked better.

Can you recommend a mic that is under $100?

What about a Samson C01 Cardioid Condenser Microphone?
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=20460&ItemType=30&DepartmentID=0

I'll be using the mic mostly for vocals by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I don't know if I'll ever have the stand set up like yours so I might be ok with it.

IMHO, these lightweight stands are actually worse than nothing. At least a human holding a microphone has some chance of not dropping the mic on the floor. These stands, however, as shipped, are pretty much guaranteed to ruin anything you put on them unless you only use exceptionally light microphones.

These mic stands are just too unstable to hold anything heavy. I've seen them fall over easily when used as a straight stand (no boom) with an SM58. No joke. I saw a performer cursing about the quality of these stands on stage and practically throw the stand out into the audience because it fell over about eight times during the first song. The only reason I'm using my Nady equivalent of these stands for drum overheads is that I felt like I should do something with them and they proved thoroughly incapable of doing anything else. I nearly killed a Studio Projects B3 the first day I had these things. I ordered two Tama stands to replace them literally the next day, IIRC.

To give you an idea of how unusable these stands are, that Studio Projects B3 is similar in weight to the mic you're talking about putting on it. I found that as long as I consistently made sure the mic was over one of the legs, I could get maybe a foot of boom extension before the stand fell over. (That means that the other two feet of boom length are pretty much worthless.) If the boom was hanging out over the gap between the legs, I basically had to retract the boom entirely and use it right at the stand. (That means the boom in general is pretty much worthless.) The conclusion I came to was that I couldn't trust any LDC on this stand unless I didn't need to use the boom, and frankly, a mic stand without a boom is like a day without sunshine.... :D

I don't use the words "complete garbage" to describe hardware very often, but in this case, I'm being generous. I'd give you a week, max, before you either return yours to MF or throw it in the trash can to save the return shipping costs....

Just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary. If you already own these stands, I recommend adding one of these.

Is it a decent stand?

The stand works and does the job for my uses. However it tends to loosen up on it's own from time to time.
I don't trust it enough to use it on stage at all.
I plan to replace it with a better unit.

Here is a little update on everything....

I got my AKG D790 (it took months) and I also had bought a MXL 990. The AKG D790 seems to have a little better tone (if that's the right word for it) but even with a pop filter P's tend to pop sometimes which doesn't happen with the MXL.

That stand works fine for me and I have not dropped a mic but you do have to be careful because you can definitely feel that it could tip if you positioned it certain ways. You also have to keep everything very tight.

My Lexicon Omega is ok but it does weird things every once in awhile and that really annoys me.

I'm also using Reaper instead of Cubase which is packaged with the Omega because Cubase also does weird things sometimes.

Here is a super rough recording using the above equipment...

http://www.myspace.com/andrewvinemusic

I just recorded the two tracks to it and posted it on myspace since I don't know anything about EQ or any other recording stuff yet.

Back