• AKG d112

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Shure Beta 52

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters

Uladine

I've narrowed my kick mic wishlist down to these two mics. Which one is your favorite? I'm looking for a tight metal style kick sound.

The Shure sounds really flat to me. The D112 has a sharp rise in the high end, which will be good for the sound you're going for. At this point in time, I wouldn't use anything but a D112.

Darth

For a tight metal kick the D112 is the sure way to go. (which incidently is exactly what I don't like about it:p )

Good luck,

heylow

I've played with both and felt like the D-112 seemed smoother with more thump to it. The Beta 52 had too much attack for my taste. Both would work fine properly EQ'ed but I would go with the AKG.

I've recently used both and had great results with both of them. I think the D112 may be a bit better but, with good EQ, both mics are great for the job.

As a side note...this is why I like to rent microphones on occasion. It lets you test them out in a real situation and see what the results are. Then, you can make an educated purchase.

so..what's the difference between a LD dynamic like an sm7 or re20 and a "bass mic" like a d112 or beta52? i've heard talk of the latter having some sort of pre-tailored eq curve (what is that curve's shape again?), but i'm wondering what the difference is as far as design, construction, and intended use. also, anybody tried that shure "bass" pzm mic, the beta 91 (i think that's the right #)?

are you serious???? my e602 works wonders on my kick. It even makes my old "sound percussion" kit sound good. I tried miking a bass cab with it and it didn't sound good at all.. hmmmmmm

ad0lescnts said:
are you serious???? my e602 works wonders on my kick. It even makes my old "sound percussion" kit sound good. I tried miking a bass cab with it and it didn't sound good at all.. hmmmmmm

Same here. I don't like it on my bass amp, and it sounds great on my kick. Although back before I got a resonant head on it, all I could get was a poorly defined thump. With a resonant head, it's a tight sound with great attack.

dragnalus said:
so..what's the difference between a LD dynamic like an sm7 or re20 and a "bass mic" like a d112 or beta52? i've heard talk of the latter having some sort of pre-tailored eq curve (what is that curve's shape again?), but i'm wondering what the difference is as far as design, construction, and intended use. also, anybody tried that shure "bass" pzm mic, the beta 91 (i think that's the right #)?

The sm7 really isn't technically a "large" diaphragm mic. It won't really sound like anything overly special on the kick, although it will blow you away on the right vocalist. The re20 is a classic broadcast large-diaphragm. It's sounds great on a lot of things, and has the perfect pattern for the kick. More of a "classic" sound to it. It's been used on kick since the kick was invented, pretty much. :)

I can't speak for the d112 or the beta 52, since I have no experience at all with them. At least not alone, that is. Now I HAVE heard the beta 52 used with the beta 91 pzm simultaneously. I don't know how the two work together, but somehow that setup can produce the biggest, earth-rumbling, chest-thumping, hair-splitting bass drum sound I have ever heard. Sounds very "techno," actually, since you don't generally hear that kind of in-your-face "thump!" produced naturally.

There's certainly nothing wrong with putting a 421 in the kick and a condensed 2 or 3 feet out and blending them.

IMHO, I think this is better than ANY dedicated kick mic since the low freq waves dont even begin to mature til further out.

heylow

I went and bought an AKG D112 today. I switched it with my old mic and the difference is amazing. Theres so much more low end that I'm gonna need to use the low cut filter on my mixer. I cut a lot of low end and its still monsterous. I love it. :)

I do own the beta 52, and..........

Well I bought the Shure drume mic kit cause it came with three very proven mics ( the sm-57s) and some pretty nice clamps. I think you would break the drum rim before the clamps ever come off.

Any way I can get a pretty nice kick sound out of the 52 if I boost around 3k to 4k and maybe a hair on the bottom end. So I am not rushing out to by a new kick mic just yet..... but from what I understand the AKG is a lot less picky and easier to work with.
I can not say this is fact, but I can say the 52 took me a while to get the hang of.

I would go AKG for just the single mic, If you go for a kit the shure set up is hard to beat for the price.

Good luck.

F.S.

A local music store gave me some kick mics to try out. An ATM-25, a Peavey kick mic that I can't recall the model of and a Pro 25 and I compared them all against my D-112. I went out the next day and bought a second D-112.

Back