AKG C414 vs MXL Genesis

way95

I've been browsing around looking a good microphone for vocals. I kinda zeroed in on these two for now and I'm wondering if anyone here could pitch in a few thoughts as to which is the better value mic. Obviously, the c414 has been around long and has earned many good reveiws. On the other hand, the Genesis is rather new and I was'nt able to find as many reveiws although the ones that I did find were very positive. One guy said it came very close to the sound quality of the tlm103.

Any experience with these two models guys? Or maybe I should just get one of each... Or maybe you can recommend a better option for this general price range.

Screw if it sounds good, you should get one of these just based on looks alone! :P

MXL GOLD 35 Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic | Musician's Friend
DV016_Jpg_Large_485687.jpg

I was just joking with my comment, but then I read this interview with the guy who they made the gold mic for, Benjamin Wright lol.

I’m doing the Temptations, they’re talking smack: “I want an 87 on my voice”. Everybody loves the 87. So I said, “I got something you guys should check out.” I put up an 87 and this big brand-new gold mic.

The gold mic, to use Reggie Dozier’s words, kicked the 87’s ass. Night and day! What the hell are they doing with these microphones?

Last edited:
Yes, I had seen that one too. Also just saw a lot of good reviews on the Shure SM7B and that one is cosiderably cheaper so I'd like to hear you're thoughts on this one vs the others I mentioned as well.

Back