AKG C1000: What is better for price?

1980Slingerland

I just lost (or got ripped off) my pair of SM94 condensors and don't have the $360+ to replace them right now. I saw lots of bad press about those AKG C1000's on this forum, so I'm reluctant to bid on them. Can anyone recommend a good pair of mikes I can use for overheads on a 4-pc drumkit? I'm talkin', say, a $200 budget total. Would I be better off to get one "good" one (run in mono) rather than two? I only play a couple shows per year and wanna do a little home recording as well. This is for my classic rock band. Thanks in advance. -Ken Wyandotte, MI

I'd go with a pair of Oktava MK012's or Marshall 603's on that budget. Some guys use a mono for oh's, I prefer the stereo image of ORTF or even MS

I have a pair of C1000s and I love them. Drum overs, acoustic guitars, violins, live two track, vox....
I think they are really nice mics for that pricepoint.

I.M.O.

Can you still get the 603's with the case and shockmounts for $199? If so, I think it's the best choice for your budget. Or, the ecm8000's that Harvey seems to like - no experience with them myself though.

cello_pudding said:
c1000 for vocals?
Yes. Believe it or not
:p
And I had good results!
Now, you might ask yourself, "self, what would make someone even TRY that?"
Here's the answers: desperation, boredom, laziness (in no particular order)

For overheads I have experience with the MXL 603s and I find them to be way too bright. The cymbals become overpowering in the mix and we usually have to EQ the crap out of the overheads to get the cymbals at the right level. If you look at the frequency response chart this is pretty obvious with a huge presence boost starting at about 5khz. We were looking into a set of SDCs to replace them and we looked into the AKG C1000s and found that there was also a presence boost, so from what I hear and see that AKG is going to be equally bright. We asked around about mics in the same price range that didn't have the high boost and found that the KEL HM-1 was similarly priced at 100 dollars a pop and instead of being artificially clear they are reletively flat. There are slight scoops at some frequencies to get rid of some of the anoying sounds. KEL is a small online based company, but they offer a great money back guarantee. Anyway, gotta go mix a client. Check em out at www.kelaudio.com.

-Deng

KEL HM-1 for overheads

I might try one of these HM-1's. I just hope they don't sound like the BS nadys or cad mikes i've heard. I'm just a drummer, so what do I know?
Joke: What do you call a drummer who just brooke up with his girlfriend? HOMELESS
What's the first thing a drummer says when he moves to L.A.:
"Would you like fries with that, Sir?"

Deng said:
The cymbals become overpowering in the mix and we usually have to EQ the crap out of the overheads to get the cymbals at the right level. If you look at the frequency response chart this is pretty obvious with a huge presence boost starting at about 5khz.

While I agree they are a tad bright, this sounds more like a mic placement problem to me. I found them to be quite usable. :)

Go for a pair of 2 MXLV67G... That ones you can find for about U$99 each... So it fits right into the way you want to spend. I've always heard good things about that mic for that price! They are good to use as O/H's... Nice curve levels on a good LDC.

C ya

Somewhere in 1992 I bought a pair of C1000's after hearing them on a bass amp. For some years now people are bashing the C1000 on most forums but actually the C1000 isn't that bad. I've had pretty good results on bass amp, distorted guitar amp, acoustic guitar, trumpet, saxophone, percussion and a couple of other applications.

I like them even more than the C3000, but the C3000 has a nicer off axis response than the C1000. I've sold my two C1000's and my pair of C3000's and bought a pair of SP B1's and an MXL V69 and a V77S.

And although the B1 is better on most applications, to be honest the C1000 is better on trumpet.

Some vocals do sound pretty decent with a C1000, on my website you can find a fragment with the C1000 on female vocals, it's the Gothic fragment (Voyage), find out for yourself.

NL5 said:
this sounds more like a mic placement problem to me.

It really depends on the cymbals too. In the world of recording a lot of small time artists with a studio that doesn't have a custom kit that sounds good just for itself, you tend to get a lot of overpowering cymbal sets. The bright just kind of makes this worse. Although this thread isn't really about this kind of situation, I was making one about mine. My fault guys. Just thought I'd add the little experience I have. Yes the 603s do work, very well indeed. I often find myself using them on acoustic guitar over my expensive LDCs.

-Deng

Studio Projects C4s are my own choice, but any of the mics suggested here, and also various ones from ADK, SE and Rode's NT5s will do it equally well.

Han said:
Some vocals do sound pretty decent with a C1000, on my website you can find a fragment with the C1000 on female vocals, it's the Gothic fragment (Voyage), find out for yourself.
Han
Thanks for the backup. I was afraid to mention that, as people usually look at me like I have two heads or something.... but what is this forum if it's not about trying something new?!
:D

guido #2 said:
Han
Thanks for the backup. I was afraid to mention that, as people usually look at me like I have two heads or something.... but what is this forum if it's not about trying something new?!
:D

I`ve used the AKG c1000 once on duet in a church, they only had one channel so I was forced to use only on mic amd being that condenser pics up more room sound than a dynamic.
I couldent let the natural reverb from a wooden church lay there unused, so I wen with the C1000, and it turned out great so I agree on it being good for vox.

Deng said:
In the world of recording a lot of small time artists with a studio that doesn't have a custom kit that sounds good just for itself, you tend to get a lot of overpowering cymbal sets.

Once again, this is due WAY more to mic placement than the mic itself. :)

Back