AKG C1000 - the mic people hated for 30+ Years

My own dislike stemmed from every damn school and college who joined the new music technology qualification in the UK, using these mics. At that time (1996, I think) they had to record a pop piece and a stereo, 'natural acoustic' piece and I listened to thousands, and maybe that formed my head to match other people's comments. Now, I'm wondering of it was just poor mic placement, poor eq, and poor management that produced all the horrible recording. I'm having trouble relating the bad recordings to the sound I got today?
I would have to say mic placement because I never had issues with recording with that mic. sometimes its better to roll off the bass at the mic pre than at the mic, but other than that, its not bad nor really spectacular. But older digital recording systems had issues due to the use of pre-emphasis they don't do anymore. I can see that getting in the way with mics like this.

I had a C1000 in the early 90's. There weren't a lot of good "cheap" condensers around at that time. I couldn't get it to sound good on anything. I moved up to a C3000 and had better luck. Not into AKGs at all anymore, including the 414s.

I used my 25 year old C1000 yesterday to troubleshoot some XLR cables. It still sounds good to my ears and works like the day it was new. I've gotten my money's worth out of that thing and then some.

Back