AKG C 451Bs are great

PinkStrat

I recently mentioned to a few forum members here [like Bruce at Blue Bear for one] that I was expecting to get some of AKG's newly reissued C 451Bs in for evaluation/review. Well, they're finally here and right off the bat I've found these to have all the "airy" qualities of the original C 451s thus far. However, I still have plenty more testing yet to do with this microphone. So far, so good though and this I can say without any hesitation! The C 451B comes presented in a very classy looking wooden box and I think AKG has done a stellar job on this. From what I am initially hearing here, I suspect the new C 451 B would liven & sparkle up a darker sounding Martin Dreadnaught as only one example or be just perfect for mic'ing anything that has a lot of high end detail. Drum overheads come to mind as one of the useful applications along with most acoustic instruments as well [mandolin, guitar etc]. This one has a lot of shimmer going on! Great job they've done on this microphone-- Check 'em out. Me thinks you'll really dig them.:) Stay tuned for more on this mic soon. I plan to be pushing the envelope and go into different areas/applications than one might normally expect.:D

Would you rather have one used AKG C 541 B for $300 or buy the matched Stereo Pair NT5 from Rode?

I am asking myself if it is ebtter to have one really nice mic like the AKG 451 B or if the Rode NT5s are a better and cheaper solution for recording great acoustic guitar.

The 451s are absolutely killer!!! I love my pair!!!!!!!!!

Ditto.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-Thomas Jefferson-

This is starting to piss me off. Short of buying a pair just to try out, my options are rather limited for auditioning these puppies.

Help me out here guys... I am kind of pressed for time.

Help me out here guys... I am kind of pressed for time. The guy is supposed to call me tomorrow to find out if I want to take the mic or not. Of course there isn't any pressure or anything. It isn't as if he said, "I'm going to call you tomorrow, if you don't have an answer then the deal is off." he is a really cool guy but I am kind of biting my finger nails here as to weather or not I should go for the AKG C 451B or if I should order a matched pair of Rode NT5s.

Could you go and read my post about it...
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70650

There I explain the situation a lot better.

I can basically get a used AKG C 451B for $300 or I can get a matched pair of NT5s from Rode for $300-$370 new. Which should I go for?

What is a "Matched Pair" anyway?

What the hell is a Matched Pair? I know what everyone tells me... the company carefully selects two microphones that are as identical as possible blah blah blah....

But what if I buy this AKG C 451B from this dude and then in 6 months I want a Matched pair to use for overhead drum mics or for recording an acoustic guitar or orchestral performance... if I just go out and buy another AKG 451B, how freakin different can it be that it is not considered a "matched pair"?

And if I buy an AKG C 451B from this guy and then decide later to buy a matched pair of AKG 451B's and then I accidently mix up which is which.... what then??? And what if I....

Ok, as you might see I am skeptical about the whole "matched pair" making a shitload of difference.

Enlighten me gentlemen

I guess it would depend on how bad you need a matched pair. If you need to record with the matched pair now, get the NT5's.

As far as true matching is concerned, you are right to be skeptical. There are mic companies that will say that you are getting a matched pair, but in reality you are not. I would only trust a matched pair that comes with plots showing variance. Also there is a school of thought that believes that ALL "matching" is voodoo and the closest you can get is consecutive serial numbers. The truth is somewhere in-between (as usual).

Good luck on your mic purchase decision.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-Thomas Jefferson-

Last edited:
Well it looks like i will be getting the AKG C451B from the guy for $300. It comes in the "limited edition" wooden box that AKG released the first ones in upon releasing it after it's discontinuing in the early 90's. The guy was really nice and I know that the mic has been in good hands for the last 6 months. I think that since he works at the music store he is probably selling me a 6 month old mic for what he paid for it originally with his music store employee discount... but he wouldn't budge on the price, and $300 is still a hell of a nice price for a pristine AKG C 451B. Thanks for the help guys!

Back