AKG C 414 or Rode NTK or NT1000 or NT2A or AT 4050??

Tonato17

Hi, I am between those mics and i can't decide it. I will use it for recording Vocals, guitars (acoustic, clasical, electric), a piano an maybe sinthetizers.
Wich do you think is better?

AKG C 414
Rode NTK
NT1000
NT2A
AT 4050??

II don't know what to do.....All your answers and experiences will be really important to take my desicions...Please answer me! :)
Thanks a lot...Regards.........

Toni

I'm with Chess, if you had one of those then I'd say the NTK. The 414 works on anything, not always the best but never bad. 4050 gives you back whatever you put in, some folks like more out of a mic, some don't want the mic messing with their sound

Well, I have an NTK and a 4033.

The NTK rocks on vox, but pretty well sucks the big one on acoustic guitars. I like the 4033 for vox as well, it's cleaner, but not as warm as the NTK. It however does a decent job on acoustic guitars.

I would go with the 414 but I haven't tried the rest of the options.
The 414 has a very nice sound on cardioid pattern.

NL5 said:
Well, I have an NTK and a 4033.

The NTK rocks on vox, but pretty well sucks the big one on acoustic guitars. I like the 4033 for vox as well, it's cleaner, but not as warm as the NTK. It however does a decent job on acoustic guitars.

Hmmm...I have the same two mics and have had some different results. You're right, the NTK does rock on vox. I have actually never found it to suck on acoustic guitar though (usually a Taylor 814ce)...a lot of time it needs some eqing on acoustic guitar, but I've never had it suck. I thought the 4033 was just ok on vocals, something would have to be going wrong with the NTK though for me to reach for it on vox. I would agree though that the 4033 does a good job on acoustics, very natural sound when I combine it with an SM81.

The only way to get a majority opinion in here is to shoot everyone else who dissents from what you want.

After spending a lot of time in here, I realized that mics are like paint brushes. Some brushes are better for some applications, while others do a better job for other applications.

No mic will be the end all.

I've had to face that so I purchased a pair of Peluso mics for ACT GTR ($500) designed after the Schoeps. Supposedly incredible sound and best value for any mic under $1000. For VOX, I went with Shure KSM44 and the KSM27. I'll be returning one.

Which brings me to my point. Try to work with a reseller who has a flexible return policy. Most places like MF, M123, SA, etc... will allow a pretty good period of time for you to try the equipment and return what you don't like. That's better than trying to figure out what will work in your studio based on someone else's experience.

That said, there are some mics that people in here overwhelmingly don't like. I can't recall any on your list that EVERYONE here would say sucks.

Best of luck to you, and don't worry about the postage costs to return a mic. Consider it money well spent.

Regards,
Mark

Aceboympk said:
Which brings me to my point. Try to work with a reseller who has a flexible return policy. Most places like MF, M123, SA, etc... will allow a pretty good period of time for you to try the equipment and return what you don't like. That's better than trying to figure out what will work in your studio based on someone else's experience.

That said, there are some mics that people in here overwhelmingly don't like. I can't recall any on your list that EVERYONE here would say sucks.

Best of luck to you, and don't worry about the postage costs to return a mic. Consider it money well spent.

Regards,
Mark

This is a good point. I would say narrow your list down to two, three if you can afford it. Find a seller that has the mics and will let you return the ones you don't like. That way you get to try the mics with your equipment and your music. The other problem you will run into here is that it will be difficult to find someone who has extenseive experience with all of those mics.

Maybe narrow it to the NTK, the 414, and the 4050.

Hello! Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers...I decided to buy the Rode NT2A, because of it's multi polar patterns....I hope that would be a good desicion...They are payed in a miami store, but still don't get them (I am from Argentina, and my cousin who is there, will be looking for it!)
Thanks a lot!

Toni

Back