AKG C-3000 Any Thoughts?

Geoff Rusch

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I wanted to get a general consensus on this large diaphragm condenser. Is this a good mic to use for vocals? Also, how well does it work for Acoustic guitars? BTW, i am refering to the c-3000 not the c-3000 B. Thanks.

This mic was the first large diaphram mic I ever purched when they first came out about 7 to 8 years ago.
Back then they sold for 500.00 bucks.
I used it with adats and a mackie 8 buss mixer.

All I can say is with that combination it sounded extremely harsh.
I used it on vocals and acoustic guitar.
All I can say is there are so many othere choices out there that
this mic would be the last mic on my list to buy, Even if it was
very cheap to purchase.

Other than a MXL2001 I cant think of a worse choice.

Geoff Rusch said:
Hello all,

This is my first post here and I wanted to get a general consensus on this large diaphragm condenser. Is this a good mic to use for vocals? Also, how well does it work for Acoustic guitars? BTW, i am refering to the c-3000 not the c-3000 B. Thanks.

I used one for vocal tracking once. If you have a singer with a robust voice then the mic works just fine. Overall I wasn't very happy with the mic. I like the AKG Solidtube though.

I 2nd Track Rat.
That was my 1st LD condensor too. It will ok for some things.
I guess it would boil down to what you want to pay vs. what else you can get at that price.
T

Tonio said:
I 2nd Track Rat.
That was my 1st LD condensor too. It will ok for some things.
I guess it would boil down to what you want to pay vs. what else you can get at that price.
T

You can get a 4050 for cheap on ebay if you're patient.

Geoff, there's a great deal of disagreement here about how we'd spend $300 or so on microphone(s), but fairly unanimous that that mic isn't the one they'd reach for first. That kind of money could buy you a pair of MXL603's or Oktava MC012's for the acoustic, and a main vocal mic such as V67 or MK319. It's not a bad mic really (the AKG), just overpriced up against current competition. Hope this help, and welcome to the board..-Richie

C3000 was my first LD Condenser too, and I agree on the things said about it. It's not useless, but the upper midrange is kinda opposite from smooth.

very peaky high end, quite similar to that of the C 1000. Harvey once told me to use it off-axis for vocal recording, in order to reduce the peakiness a little bit. Doesn't help much if the singer has a kinda shrill voice, though.

Go to a store with a good mic room and listen to some. Talk and sing through as many mics as they have in your price range. Be sure and try a Rode NT1000 if they have one. At $300, that would definately be my choice.

Blessings, Terry

Yep... I bought this mic about seven years ago for around $500. It was the first ld mic I'd ever owned. I think it does a good job on accoustic guitars and is useable for vocals. I recently acquired a MLX V63M and a pair of 603s. The combined price was less than half of what I paid for the AKG. I much prefer the V63M for vocals over the AKG. I really have not had the 603s long enough to compare, but I do like the 603s on accoustic guitar.

I am going to try using the AKG and a 603s in combination for accoustic guitar. I don't think the AKG is crap. I think it is just another tool in the mic locker.

I bought an AKG C3000 about 10 years ago when, at the time, it was my third large diaphragm condenser. (I was just getting started).

I would guess that it hasn't been out of the box in the last eight years. The only mic I own that I've probably used less is the Oktava 219.

Back