AKG b 2000c VS Audio Technica AT4040

EdJames

Shouldn't be any comparison right?

So why am I getting a crisp studio quality from the AKG b 2000c in a $40 preamp and a hollow sounding vocal from the AT4040 in a $300 preamp that as soon as you put reverb on it sound like it was recorded at 96kbps?!

Help, I'm depressed beyong all belief. Could this be as simple as the acoustics in my old house being better in that room? (The walls sloped infrom bottom to top)

I would grab the AT4040 right now! The AKG is HORRIBLE. Absolutely the worst mic i have ever heard. even the C3000B by AKG. the highs are not even visible. its very muddy and bassy.

Thats the crazy thing! It's not even like its a preference thing, the AT4040 is just flat out better than the AKG yet the AT4040 just sounds ass.

I really think it's the acoustics in my room being different. I think the walls are thinner and the layout isn't right. I will have to build something to dampen the sound.

EdJames said:
Thats the crazy thing! It's not even like its a preference thing, the AT4040 is just flat out better than the AKG yet the AT4040 just sounds ass.

I really think it's the acoustics in my room being different. I think the walls are thinner and the layout isn't right. I will have to build something to dampen the sound.

Hell yea! Dampening sound in your room would be the first step. Do you have any pics of ur room perhaps?

I just heard your mixes. You know what...they are pretty good.
They sound pretty pro to me. However, the mids in the vocals is a
bit too much. if you could lower the mids, it would sound much better.

Problem is, those mixes are with an AKG b 2000c and M-Audio Audiobuddy into a cheap soundcard in my old house.

In my new house with the equipment in my sig I can't even get NEAR that kind quality!

If your 4040 sounds like ass, then make sure you singing into the front of it and not the back. Also, are you judging the vocals by itself or mixed with instruments?

It sounds great in essence until I try to mix it at all, as soon as I apply any kind of reverb you can hear all the nasty acoustics from my room messing it up!

I just did a recording a stood RIGHT up against the mic and sang and VOILA
The audio quality is 10000x better!

Yeah, the TAMPA is clean with a nice low cut on it which really helps with all the noise in my house and stuff. Cn't say I've gotten to grips with the compressor yet, any advice?

I disagree with Studiomaster on the C2000B. It is a very usable and versatile mic. The AT4040 is a very different mic, and also very usable. The C2000B is darker, more colored, and responds more quickly to fast transients, due to it's smaller diaphragm. In many ways, it is like an Oktava MC012. It's a small diaphragm mic in a larger housing, Good as a percussion mic or overhead, good for some vocalists, especially ones that need some color. AT4040 is brighter and more transparent.-Richie

Back