AKG 414 on guitar cab?

StudioRecorder

Is it safe to use the AKG C 414 B-TL II on guitar cabs?

I've used it with great results on somewhat moderate volumes in my Randall Isolation, because the SM57 just wasn't giving me the tones I was aiming for. Could the capsule of the 414 be harmed by doing this? I'm using volume padding already, set to -20 dB. But haven't experienced any clipping, with or without padding. The volumes we are talking is way loud when the iso-cab is open, and a fair whisper when it's closed. I'm very sensitive to loud volumes though, a saxophone is for instance too loud for me.

I appreciate all kinds of knowledge and inputs on this matter, thanks in advance!

Unless the amp is really cranked up, you won't hurt it. Here's a tip- try its smaller diaphragm, cheaper cousin, C2000B. It rocks in that role.-Richie

Even if the amp is really cranked, just hit the -10dB pad, and you'll be fine. The capsule on the 414 is really tough. I use them to close mic snares all the time. Works great. The only issue is clipping the preamp (the one inside the mic), hence the pad.

Don't worry about it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

This is legendary Australian engineer/producer Mark Opitz's tried and true method.

Attachments

• amp_micing.jpg
    amp_micing.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 167
It's an Australian mag called "Audio Technology"

I'm trying to sweet-talk the wife into typing the article up for me so i can post some of the "interesting" bits.

One thing it says is that he moves the mics in and out depending on how much "room sound" he wants. But the mics should stay directly in line with the speaker cone.

Onother interesting bit is about Mark Opitz spending 2 weeks with ACDC's amp heads and speaker boxes, mixing and matching to find not only the best head/box combos... but also which speaker in each quad box gave the best results........ That's what i call preparation!

Markd102 said:
It's an Australian mag called "Audio Technology"

I'm trying to sweet-talk the wife into typing the article up for me so i can post some of the "interesting" bits.

That would be very nice of her!

Markd102 said:
One thing it says is that he moves the mics in and out depending on how much "room sound" he wants. But the mics should stay directly in line with the speaker cone.

Onother interesting bit is about Mark Opitz spending 2 weeks with ACDC's amp heads and speaker boxes, mixing and matching to find not only the best head/box combos... but also which speaker in each quad box gave the best results........ That's what i call preparation!

Is Mark AC/DC's producer? Wow, now I have to try that mic setup!! :D That is indeed ambitious engineering!

I LOVE the 414 on guitar cabs! i've got the b-uls, and I use a similar set up to the one pictured, heck i've even stuck it straight up against the grill and CRANKED a soldano hot rod50 into an orange 412, and it's some of the best tones i've ever done.

wes

OK.... I do have a transcription of the above mentioned article.
I think that it would not be wise to print it here due to copyright reasons, but if I am willing to email it to anyone who want's to drop me a PM or email.

Back