AKG 414 eb

Jburn34

I am currently renting an AKG 414 eb with the silver body. I love it, so much so that I have been looking to buy one. There are a few 414 eb's with the black body on ebay, but none with the silver body. Is there a difference between the two? Will I be disappointed with the black body 414 eb?

Thanks,
Jeremy

My understanding is that "silver" is the way to go.
Perhaps someone like Fletcher or Nathan will spot this thread and give
you a more definitive answer.

Chris

P.S. The "silver" 414 EB was used to record Brad Delp's vocals on the
debut "Boston" album.

Quite a few mics were and are made available in an optional matte black finish, which is sometimes desirable over silver and champagne finishes in applications where the mic should be less visible - such as theatrical stages and live TV recordings.

There is no difference at all in the mics other than the color, although the matte black finishes might hold slightly less value on the used market because folks often like the original finishes a little more. And if you don't mind the black you might be able to get into a better mic for slightly less money.

The "original" AKG 414EB has a silver finish. Personally, I prefer the silver, but wouldn't turn down a black one if it was a good deal. I'd figure the black model might be worth $50 - $100 less than a silver one.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Does your rented C414EB has the brass-capsule or the newer Teflon re-issue? You can identify the capsule by looking through the grill. If there's screws all around the capsule (13 I think....) it's the original CK12 capsule. Then you probably wouldn'd be satisfied with a black C414EB. If it is a Teflon-CK12 (white plastic outer ring) the the black EB would be the same (If it's not the P48 version!!!)

torsten

Back