Akai X-1810d...help

dastrick

huh???
First, I'll let you know that I'm a total analog noob. Now that that is out of the way...

So my dad gave me his old Akai X-1810d. He told me that it keeps blowing fuses. I've looked for some schematics online, but I haven't been able to find any...at least not for under $20. I was wondering if anybody here has them or knows where I could get them??

Also, he has a bunch of tape with some of his old songs on them. I'd like to get those backed up and onto a cd. Once I get the Akai working, what do I need to do to get it prepared to play the tape? Like cleaning and such. Any precautions I should take. It's been sitting up for a while.

Thanks a bunch,
D

akai x-1810d.jpgtape.jpg

Hi Fi Engine has the brochure, but no service manual or schematics.

Do the moving parts appear to be under strain before the fuse blows?

Take the covers off and have a look for obviously leaking or blown components.

If there's something obviously blown it may save you the need for schematics.

Ask your dad how long it runs before the fuse pops, or if it pops as soon as he flips the switch.

When you replace the fuse, be sure to use the same current rating (in amperes) and type (slow blow or fast blow). Do not short out the fuse holder to avoid replacing fuses. Get plenty of them because you may blow a few before you figure out what's going on.

No,,,<ahem> never do that. That's just <ahem> dangerous.

We live and learn huh?

I've never done it. But I was reading a thread on Tapeheads where a guy said he got a new receiver that someone had done that to, so I thought I'd toss it out there.

If the machine is blowing fuses right and left, you're practically guaranteed to fry it if you short the fuse holder.

Yeah. I would never short out the fuse. I don't have any 2 amp 125v fuses on hand so I'm going to take the covers off tonight and give it a good once over.

Back