Akai or Alesis

reel2reel

I'm considering moving into the digital realm of recording and I am looking for some suggestions. Should I buy an Akai dps24 or buy an Alesis hd24 and then get a decent 24 ch mixer like a Soundcraft, Allen&Heath, or old Tascam?
I'm thinking the "regular" mixer would be a lot better as far as preamps and functionability. Also, the Akai is an all-in-one, and I dont really like that...kind of like buying a tv-vcr combo, never really that good of quality.
Your thoughts?

I have the HD24. It's SUPER COOL!!!! I mean it's totally perfect for me since I hate ITB (in the box) mixing. I use a Behringer (gag!) DDX3216 for tracking and mixing. Eventually, I'll graduate to a better digital mixer. Anyway, if you want a super cool and VERY easy to use digital recorder, you won't regret the HD24. Just have a look at all the satisfied users on the Alesis Forum!!!!

Later!

If you're looking for portability, the all-in-one units are nice if you put them in a flight case. Less wiring to set up and tear down.

For a home studio, I'd prefer to have my mixers and my recorders seperate, even though generally it costs more in equipment and in wiring. But if your recorder breaks, at least you can still use the mixer while the recorder is being repaired. This is especially key if you have more than one mixer, and one recorder.

The HD24 is an "okay" unit in my opinion. It's really not roadworthy even in a flight case. It records VERY nicely, and it's one of the less expensive 24 track recorders out there, so no slight on the electronics - just what they put the electronics in.

One of the really slick things about the HD24 is it works really well with the old adat remote control - the BRC. So if you've recorded in studios that had adats and this remote, you'll find your "operation learning curve" just got shortened significantly.

I would throw another vote for the HD24. It is easy to use. Since it is a popular unit, there are so many of us with this unit that there is a better chance you'll get some great help.

me too. i own Mackie's counterpart, the SDR2496 and i love it. much better than pointing and clicking. Especially since they are designed to feel like working with "tape"

Thanks for all the advice. You clinched it for me. I was going in the HD24 direction anyway. I do not need portability and I definitely want to use a large format mixer. I have a feeling that the all-in-one recorders, despite what people say about sound quality, (these are usually people who own them) have a much lower quality built-in mixer, preamps, etc than even an older console.

Back