AKAI GXC-704D Operating Procedure

avieth

I picked up an AKAI GXC-704D cassette deck for free from a friend. The unit seems to function. The transport is fine, it records and plays well, though I've only tested it with old consumer-quality Maxell tape. Anyways, I noticed that the input level knob seems to have no effect on the VU meters or the +7dB clip light, yet when I record with the input knob at 0 the tape doesn't get written.

Does anyone know where I can find a free user manual for this unit online? Or can someone tell me if this is normal, or if the machine is broken.

...the input level knob seems to have no effect on the VU meters or the +7dB clip light.
Input level knobs (there are "two-in-one", you can adjust them separately or both at the same time) should have "effect" on input level when the deck is in Record mode: connect the source outputs to recorder's inputs (or plug microphone(s) to mic inputs), insert the cassette, press pause then press play+record. Play your source (or speak to the mic). As you adjust Input Level knobs on the recorder the Meters should reflect the level (Knob at "0" - no meter movement; turn the knob CW - more meter movement), clip LED should "go red" when needles hit hard right, indicating that the Input Level is too high.
That's how it would be "normal".
If the deck is not in Record mode, like when you play back the cassette, the Input Level Knobs have no effect. That's normal.
When playing back, you may want to adjust Output Knob, same goes to when you wish to hear the source from the Recorder's outputs during recording set-up (pause/record/adjust input level) or during actual recording process (note: when you listen to the output from the deck during recording you hear the source ("through the recorder"), but not what "it will sound like" when you'll be playing back the recording that you are making).
... when I record with the input knob at 0 the tape doesn't get written.
That's pretty normal. :)

That's pretty normal. :)

I was just a little confused :o since the VU meters were still dancing even though the input level was 0. Anyways, I don't know what I was doing wrong (or thinking :rolleyes: ) but it's working now.

I still can't understand why I have to press play before I can check the levels instead of just arming to record... Your tip to press pause first solves the problem though. Thanks ;)

I've got another question, though. Hopefully this one doesn't make me sound like an idiot, but the deck has a tape selector with LN, LH, CrO2 and Fe-Cr options. I've been recording on the chromium dioxide setting.

Cassette_Write_Protect_IV.jpg

My tapes look like the topmost tape in this picture, so I assume this means my tapes are Type 1 and therefore iron oxide, correct? What setting should I use on the deck?

Last edited:
why I have to press play before I can check the levels instead of just arming to record...
?
Maybe you don't have to. I don't know. But I know, that if you press both rec+play it would not hurt :)
If your deck is designed so you can just press record alone, then just do that.

My tapes look like the topmost tape in this picture, so I assume this means my tapes are Type 1 and therefore iron oxide, correct? What setting should I use on the deck?
I'd say For those use LN/LH. But I am not 100% sure.
CrO2 would be for Type-II. FeCr would be for tapes that you most likely will not have :), so you can kind of just ignore that one.

But, better get some Type-II tapes (like the second one from top) and use them instead. I would think You'll have better recordings.

If you feel like investigating some old cassettes, you can try this site: http://www.tapedeck.org/index.php

I bought a box full of 50 cassette tapes for $20 from the local pro-audio store. The salesman told me they were type 2, and I just decided to trust him. There seem to be two makes in the box, one half of them are clear, one half are solid black. I suspect the clear ones might be type 2, but the solid black ones are definitely type 1. Can anyone confirm?

picturecb3.jpg

I suspect the clear ones might be type 2, but the solid black ones are definitely type 1. Can anyone confirm?
Based on the photo provided, I suspect that you are correct.
I can't confirm anything.
:)

Back